Juniata College is committed to working with students who have disabilities by championing neurodivergence and disability as natural parts of human diversity, providing reasonable accommodations on an individualized and flexible basis, partnering with staff and faculty, and fostering self-advocacy skills. Juniata College students who seek accommodations based on neurodivergence and/or disability are responsible for completing an online Self-Disclosure/Application form and for providing appropriate supporting documentation. 

Request Accommodations

If you are a new student or a current student who is new to the office and would like to request disability-related accommodations, you must fill out a new application in AIM (the Accessible Information Management platform). If you have your documentation ready to attach, then you can do that in the application. If your documentation is not available, you can add documentation later. More information about specific accommodations and documentation guidelines can be found on the Academic Accommodations and Residential Living Accommodations pages and in the FAQ’s. 

If you already have accommodations through the office and would like to request a new accommodation, please login into your AIM Dashboard and click on "Additional Accommodations or Documentation".

Step 1: Complete the Student Self-Disclosure/Application in our Accessible Information Management System (AIM).

Connect with SAS (Self-Disclose a Disability or Apply for Services)

Step 2: Receive an consultation appointment invitation.

You will receive a confirmation email upon successful submission of your application and the Director of Student Accessibility Services (SAS) will contact you to schedule a consultation to discuss your request(s).

Step 3: Participate in the consultation.

In your consultation with the Director of Student Accessibility Services discuss the barriers to access encountered and impact experienced (whether academic or life impact) related to your condition.

Personalized accommodations are determined in conversation between the Director and the student.

Step 4: Customize your accommodations each term.

At the start of each term, you will login to AIM (also found on ARCH under Applications) and customize your accommodations for each class through the AIM System. Your specific accommodations are populated into a Faculty Notification Letter and sent to them in their email.

Step 5: Discuss accommodations with faculty each semester

Students are asked to speak with their faculty members about their accommodations each semester. This allows for the student to receive the specific learning accommodations that are needed for each course.

Step 6: Renew accommodations each semester

Each semester students are responsible for renewing their accommodations with Student Accessibility Services. No need to submit documentation again, unless there is a new diagnosis.

Renew Here

Housing, Dietary, and Emotional Support Animal (ESA) accommodations require additional steps on behalf of the student and coordination with the Office of Residential Life. Please review the appropriate page linked above for more information.

Considerations for International Education

  • SAS Partners with the Center for International Education to support international students studying at Juniata and domestic students going abroad.
  • The National Clearinghouse on Disability and Exchange provides helpful resources both for Americans going abroad and international students studying in the US.
  • International students, especially non-native English speakers, can face additional challenges related to obtaining necessary medical documentation and cultural differences regarding disability. Please review our FAQ’s related to documentation guidelines and reach out to CIE and SAS with any questions well in advance of your arrival. Accommodations for Non-Native English Speakers - MIUSA

Considerations for Graduate Students

  • Graduate students who encounter barriers to access related to neurodivergence or disability are encouraged to connect with SAS to discuss avenues of support, including reasonable accommodation. Please note that graduate students who previously attended and utilized services and/or accommodations as undergrads at Juniata need to re-connect with SAS. Records in AIM DO NOT automatically transfer to graduate student profiles.



Manage Accommodations

The Office of Student Accessibility Services utilizes the Accessible Information Management (AIM) platform to house and communicate accommodations information. Students can log into their AIM Dashboard to request additional accommodations, notify faculty of their accommodations each term, submit exam requests for the Testing Center, and complete forms and agreements related to their accommodations.

Access Your AIM Dashboard


What is the difference between high school and college for students with disability accommodations?

The main difference between high school and college as it relates to disability accommodations is that the student must initiate and advocate for their accommodations. This advocacy includes completing an application to request their accommodations for the first time, sending their faculty notifications through the AIM (Accessible Information Management) system each semester, and speaking with instructors about their accommodations. If you feel you are not receiving your stated accommodations and you have spoken with your instructor about that concern, you can contact our office and we will work with you and your instructor towards a resolution.

Here are resources to help you understand the differences:
High School vs. College with Disabilities
Department of Education Office of Civil Rights: College Transition Information

What external documentation is needed to qualify for services from Student Accessibility Services?

In general, the documentation should:

  • Be provided by a licensed professional, qualified in the appropriate specialty area; the report should be on letterhead, dated and signed.
  • Include both diagnostic information and an explanation of the current functional limitations of the condition. It should be thorough enough to indicate whether or not a major life activity is "substantially limited," that is, it should explain the extent, duration, and impact of the condition.
  • Be detailed enough to support the accommodations that are being requested. Accommodations are determined by assessing the impact of the person's disability on academic or work performance.
  • In most cases, it should be relatively recent; a suggested guideline is less than 3 years old. Documentation of conditions that are permanent or non-varying (e.g., a sensory disability) may not need to be as recent, but some chronic and/or changing conditions require even more current information to provide an accurate picture of functioning.
  • For a variable or progressive condition, include the degree and range of functioning.
  • Address the impact of medication or other treatments on major life activities.

SAS follows guidance from the Association on Higher Education and Disability (AHEAD) on Supporting Accommodation Requests and Guidelines for Documentation. We have provided more specific Request for Information forms for Residential Living Accommodation and ESA requests to help guide conversations with healthcare providers.

The following resources may be helpful for students in connecting with a provider and obtaining the necessary documentation:

How are accommodations determined for college?

After you complete an application requesting accommodations through our AIM Student Portal, our office will contact you via email requesting a consultation meeting time. In addition to reviewing your documentation, the SAS Director will ask you questions around the barriers you have experienced or expect in college and the life impact of your disability. We will determine together what accommodations are appropriate and reasonable based on your disability documentation and your narrative. Our office follows the standards of AHEAD (Association on Higher Education and Disability). Its framework is guided by an interactive process with the student. Documentation is considered one piece of the puzzle. In a college setting, we do not provide remedial intervention, but we often have more assistive technology options than high schools and we partner with other offices on campus to provide academic and wellness support.

What can I do to prepare for college transition with my disability(ies)?
  1. Make sure you have a conversation with your family, parents, and/or teachers about your disability diagnosis, and what you should understand about the unique ways it has shaped who you are and how you navigate barriers best.
  2. Discuss with those people how your disability has contributed to your unique strengths and discuss how you can leverage those strengths in college.
  3. Recognize the challenges and stigma you may have experienced. How do you plan to face those challenges in college? Find out what resources will be available for you on campus.
  4. Plan how you will communicate if you are experiencing challenges in college. What is your plan? Who will you communicate with about your challenges?
What is most important for me to know about utilizing my accommodations and ensuring I have full access to college?
  1. After you receive approval for disability-related accommodations, check for understanding of next steps and follow through with your part of the accommodation process. If approved, you will receive information about your accommodation eligibilities from Student Accessibility Services after your consultation including detailed instructions on how to send your faculty notification letters. You will also need to initiate requests in the AIM system relating to alternative textbook, peer notetaking, and test taking if you are eligible for those accommodations. Every semester, you will be responsible for sending faculty notifications about your accommodations through the AIM system.
  2. You will need to talk to your instructors about your accommodations. There is no need to disclose your disability, but only to speak with them about your specific needs related to the accommodations requested.
  3. Self-advocacy is proven not only to be required in many instances, but also to contribute to the academic success of students with disabilities. If you have not done this much in the past, we are here to support you as you learn these skills.

Learn How to Self-Advocate in College
Self-Advocacy Worksheet
Talking to my Professors
Rights and Responsibilities

Where can I find Institutional Policies related to accommodations, Emotional Support Animals, Service Animals, ADA, etc?
What government organizations can help college students with disabilities?

State Vocational Rehabilitation Agencies coordinate and provide counseling, evaluation, training, and job placement services for people with disabilities.

  • Learn more about OVR in PA
  • OVR Office Directory (Huntingdon is served by the Altoona office)
  • Department of Labor & Industry Office of Vocational Rehabilitation 1130 12th Ave, Suite 500 Altoona PA 16601 Phone: 814.946.7240 Fax: 814.949.7918

National Center for College Students with Disabilities (NCCSD)

How do I access accommodations and services after graduation?

SAS is here to help students navigate the transition into the workplace and/or graduate school. This includes meeting to discuss options and opportunities and (at your request, with your written permission) communicating with other institutions and testing organizations regarding your eligibility for accommodations at Juniata.

  1. Career Resources
  2. Graduate School Resources