Although it is not likely that you will have a car while you are at Juniata, it is a good idea to bring an International Driving Permit with you.

You can only obtain this in your home country. Many car rental companies require an International Driving License. In order to rent a car, you must be 25 years of age. Some companies may rent you a car if you are over 21 for an additional charge, but in all cases you need an International Driving License.

Students staying for four years can also apply for a U.S. license and take the driver exam once they are here. In order to obtain mandatory auto insurance in Pennsylvania, a student must have a Pennsylvania Driver’s License. More details are available from the Center for International Education upon arrival.

More information on Planning When to Apply for a Driver's License/Social Security Card can be found here.

Obtaining Your Original Learner's Permit

An initial Learner's Permit is issued to any individual, 16 years of age or older, who has never been licensed to operate a vehicle, a new resident who has never been licensed, or a new resident who has been licensed in another state but whose driver's license has been expired longer than 6 months. If you are a new resident to PA, please visit our New Resident information page.

Step 1: Acquire a Pennsylvania Driver's Manual from a local Driver License Center, or on this website:

Step 2: Have a physician, physician assistant, certified registered nurse practitioner or chiropractor conduct a physical examination and complete Form DL-180 "Medical Qualification Certificate."

Step 3: Visit a Driver License Center with:
1. The completed DL-180
2. The completed DL-180TD (if under the age 18). This form must be completed by a parent, guardian, or spouse who is 18 years of age or older.
3. Proof of identity, which is listed on reverse side of DL-180. Note: If you are changing your name, you must present original documents supporting name changes such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree or court order.
4. Two acceptable proofs of residency, listed on reverse side of DL-180, if you are 18 years of age or older. Proof of residency is not required if you are age 16 or 17.
5. Your Social Security card.
6. A check or money order payable to PennDOT for the appropriate fee. (Cash is not accepted.)

Step 4: An eye screening and Knowledge Test will be given. Once passed, a Learner's Permit will be issued. The Learner's Permit will be valid for one year. If you are under age 18, a six-month waiting period and 50 hours behind the wheel driving experience is required prior to taking the skills test.

Step 5: Schedule a road test either online or by calling 1-800-423-5542.
When visiting a Driver License Center to take your road test, please be sure to bring the following items with you:
1. Your valid learner’s permit
2. Parent or Guardian Certification Form DL-180C, if applicant is under 18 years of age
3. Proof of vehicle insurance
4. Proof of vehicle registration
5. Accompanying driver’s valid driver’s license

NOTE: The address of the Huntingdon area Driver License Center is as follows:
Route 22 M. A.T. Plaza, Suite 12 Huntingdon PA 16652
To get directions: (814) 643-9287

Regular Driver's License Services Fees can be found here.

Obtaining a Photo Identification Card

An identification card is issued to any Pennsylvania resident who is at least 10 years of age. This is not a driving product.
Step 1: Visit your local Driver License Center and take along the following:
1. A completed Form DL-54A, “Application for Initial Photo Identification Card.”
2. Acceptable Proof of Identification
3. Your Social Security Card
4. A check or money order payable to PennDOT for the appropriate fee (cash is not accepted) and, if you are 18 or older, two acceptable forms of address verification are required.
Please note: If you are under the age of 18 applying for a Photo ID card, a parent, guardian or person in loco parentis must accompany you to a PennDOT Driver License Center.

Step 2: When your application and supporting documentation have been reviewed and processed, a Driver License Center staff member will direct you to the Photo Center to have your photo taken for your Photo ID card.

Step 3: Once your photo has been taken, you will be issued your Photo ID card.