Jump To:

Alcohol & Controlled Substances Policy on Student Accommodations Change of Address
Leave of Absence/Withdrawal Policy Information Technology and Library Services Smoking
Bicycles Firearms and Related Items Title IX Policy & Grievance
Identification Cards Motor Vehicles Student Records
Bias-Related Confrontations/Incidents Student Marriages  


Pennsylvania state law prohibits the purchase, possession, consumption, and/or transportation of alcoholic beverages by persons under the age of 21. In addition, state law prohibits the furnishing of alcoholic beverages to those under the age of 21. Juniata College policy complies with state law and permits only those students who are 21 years of age and older to possess or consume alcoholic beverages on campus. Students in violation of Pennsylvania law and/or Juniata College policies are subject to disciplinary action, including campus disciplinary proceedings, civil liability and criminal prosecution. The College will not impede enforcement efforts by federal, state, or local law enforcement agents and holds each individual responsible for his or her own conduct in this area.

Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board


Other Controlled Substances

Juniata considers as serious the possession and misuse of illegal or dangerous drugs. If there is involvement, disciplinary action will be taken which could lead to separation from the college. The college is not a sanctuary from the law and will not impede the efforts of law enforcement officials who are investigating the involvement of persons with illegal or dangerous drugs.

Since the use of drugs (including alcohol) may be associated with medical and psychological problems, students may be referred, or refer themselves, to the counseling and medical resources of the College.

Policies and Guidelines for Student Use of Alcohol on Campus

The purchase, possession, consumption, and/or transportation of alcoholic beverages by those under the age of 21 are prohibited.


Furnishing alcoholic beverages to those who are under the age of 21 is prohibited. The legal definition of furnishing is "to supply, give, provide to, or allow a minor to possess on premises or property owned or controlled by the person charged".

In light of the Pennsylvania legislature's definition of furnishing and the potential health risk of over- consumption, kegs, beer balls, and similar products are not permitted by students of any age.

  • The policy applies to full and empty containers.
  • Draining kegs, beer balls, and similar products into other containers for the purpose of possessing, consuming, and/or furnishing alcohol on campus is not permitted.
  • Being in a room or area where a keg, beer ball, or similar product is present will be viewed as a violation of the campus alcohol policy.

Because of the potential dangers to health, the possession of excessively potent forms of ethyl alcohol (i.e., grain) for drinking purposes is prohibited.

Each student must carry proper identification and proof of age and produce such identification when requested by a College official.

Non-student guests are subject to all College policies related to the use of alcoholic beverages when on campus. Student hosts are responsible for the behavior of their guest(s).

Student Rooms in College-Owned Residential Facilities

Activities in residence hall rooms or apartments should not infringe upon the rights of others. The College has an obligation to preserve an atmosphere conducive to academic and social wellness. Any student who behaves in a fashion that disrupts the residence hall or infringes upon the rights of another student will be subject to disciplinary action.

Activities in student rooms or apartments must be self-contained. Hallways, lounges, and bathrooms are not to be used for parties or to accommodate the overflow of social gatherings

Alcoholic beverages are not permitted in rooms where all residents are under the age of 21.

Public Areas

Open containers of alcoholic beverages are prohibited in public areas of the College. Exceptions to this policy may be granted by the Director or Assistant Director of Student Activities for registered social functions.

All social functions in public areas involving the use of alcoholic beverages must be approved in advance by the Director or Assistant Director of Student Activities and must comply with the procedures on the Social Function Form.

Event sponsors may not furnish alcoholic beverages for the function in any way. College funds may not be used for the purchase of alcoholic beverages and the sponsors may not participate in the purchase and/or delivery of alcoholic beverages for attendees. The only format is "bring your own beverage" for those persons 21 years of age and older.

When alcoholic beverages are permitted, non-alcoholic beverages and food must also be provided.

All guests must provide proof of age before entering the function. All guests who are 21 years or over, must be visibly identified by a wristband.

All social functions in public areas involving the use of alcoholic beverages must have an Event Management team present. The Event Managers will oversee the checking of identification and the distribution of alcoholic beverages to guests at the event. Event Managers must be arranged by the Office of Student Activities; volunteers are not permitted to assume the responsibilities of the Event Management Team.

Social functions in residence hall lounges must comply with residence hall policies.

Only registered student organizations may charge admission for social functions. Individual students hosting private functions may not charge an admission fee.

Event sponsors are not to interfere with college officials in their attempts to monitor the function and enforce College policy.

If a scheduled social function is canceled, the event sponsor is responsible for notifying the Office of Student Activities in a timely fashion.

Policy on Student Accommodations

The College makes reasonable accommodations for students with respect to disabilities which do not impose an undue hardship on the College. If a student believes he or she requires a reasonable accommodation or has a question regarding educational services, activities, programs, or facilities that are accessible to or usable by students with disabilities, please contact an academic counselor in Academic Support Services who will serve as the point person and advocate for students with learning challenges.


Students requesting reasonable accommodations with respect to disabilities must obtain and provide to the College current (within three years prior to enrollment) documentation of their disability before the start of the session in which they are enrolling and requesting an academic adjustment or services. This documentation must support both that a student has a disability as well as the necessity of the requested academic adjustment or services. The primary purpose of this documentation is to determine a student's eligibility for accommodation and, if eligible, to help the College work interactively with a student to provide appropriate services. The College is not required, however, to provide accommodations that would result in a fundamental alteration to the nature of the program in which the student is enrolled or seeks to be enrolled, would create an undue financial burden on the College, or which would pose a threat to safety and security. General documentation requirements include, but are not limited to:

  • Documentation provided by a licensed or otherwise properly credentialed professional/medical specialist who has no personal relationship (i.e. family member, former school teacher, or school counselor) with the individual but who is knowledgeable about the individual's disability and/or condition.
  • Documentation must be typed or printed, dated, signed, and legible with the name, title, and professional credentials of the evaluator on an official letterhead and define/explain:
    • The clear description of the disability
    • The description, name, and scores of the tests and assessments used, as appropriate
    • How the condition was diagnosed
    • The current existence of the disability and current need for an accommodation
    • Functionality of the individual in an educational setting
    • Expected progression or stability of the disability
    • Rule-out statement that describes which academic and other functions the disability does not affect
    • Recommended accommodations related to functional limitations and a rationale for how the requested accommodation remedies the functional limitation
    • Date of observation

The above criteria are general guidelines only; the type of documentation will vary according to the disability. For students with learning differences, it is preferable that the student provide a full and recent psycho- educational evaluation. In some instances, a student may be requested to provide updated or augmented documentation in order to be reviewed more fully before being considered for services. It is possible that in reviewing a student's specific accommodation request or the recommendations of an evaluator, the College may find that while the recommendation is clinically supported, it is not the most appropriate accommodation given the requirements of a particular student's academic program. In addition, the College may also propose accommodations that would be appropriate and useful to the student, but which neither the student nor the evaluator have requested. The College appreciates that student disability records contain personal and confidential information. Such documentation is maintained in a confidential file in the office of Academic Support Services and is considered part of a student's education record and will only be disclosed with a student's permission or as permitted by law (e.g., in the event of a health or safety risk). However, at times, in order to evaluate and/or provide requested or recommended services and accommodations, it may be necessary for the College to disclose disability information provided by a student or a student's healthcare provider to appropriate college personnel participating in the accommodation process and have a legitimate need to know more and review the file.

If documentation provided by a student does not support the existence of a disability or the need for an accommodation, the student will be advised and provided an opportunity to supplement the initial documentation with further information from a physician, psychologist, or other appropriate specialist. In the event a student's accommodation request is denied, a student may appeal that decision by utilizing the appeal/grievance process found below.

Supporting Students with Disabilities

In its commitment to ensuring that no otherwise qualified student with a disability is subjected to unlawful discrimination in the context of his/her educational experience, the College makes certain that students with disabilities are provided equal access to educational and career development programs and/or student activities. Consequently, as noted above, the College will make, on behalf of qualified students with learning and physical disabilities of which the College is aware, reasonable accommodations that do not impose undue hardships on the College. Students and their families are strongly encouraged to disclose and discuss possible accommodations during the enrollment process.

If a student believes he/she requires a reasonable accommodation or has a question regarding educational services, activities, programs, or facilities that are accessible to or usable by students with disabilities, please contact an academic counselor in Academic Support Services who has responsibility for students with learning challenges. All information associated with a disclosure of this nature is confidential, and the College will communicate this information to others only on a need-to-know basis.

Appeal/Grievance Process

Scope and Application: This appeal/grievance process applies to any student allegedly aggrieved by a denial (in whole or in part) of his/her request for an accommodation/academic adjustment under the College’s Policy Regarding Students with Disabilities or who otherwise has an unresolved complaint regarding his/her disability. The College commits that no retaliation will occur at any stage of this process.

Initial Time Period for Filing an Appeal/Grievance: A student, alleging a disability and wishing to file an appeal/grievance hereunder, must initiate the procedure described below within thirty (30) calendar days of when the student knew or should have known of the action of which the student complains or is otherwise aggrieved by, including a denial (in whole or in part) of a request for accommodation/academic adjustment.

(A) The student or, any person(s) acting on behalf of the student, may file an appeal/grievance with the Office of Academic Support Services. An academic counselor (or his/her designee from Academic Support Services) will discuss the student’s complaint and attempt to resolve or adjust the dispute on an informal basis. The student may present any facts or circumstances he/she deems relevant to the complaint/dispute. The academic counselor may investigate the matter and gather any relevant facts and circumstances, including conducting interviews. The academic counselor shall render a determination within twenty (20) calendar days after being assigned to handle the student’s appeal/grievance. Within seven (7) calendar days from the date of the determination by the academic counselor that the complaint/dispute could not be resolved, the student (or the person acting on his/her behalf) must submit a written request for a further review by the Dean of Students to the Office of Academic Support Services and must document the student’s attempt to first resolve the appeal/grievance with the academic counselor. The written request must explain the nature of the student’s complaint/dispute and/or the accommodation/adjustment sought.

(B) The Dean of Students shall review all matters relating to the complaint/dispute as presented to the Office of Academic Support Services and may solicit additional facts and evidence as the Dean may deem necessary. The student may present any further facts or evidence he/she deems relevant. The Dean of Students shall complete the review and render a decision within twenty (20) calendar days after the appeal/grievance is submitted to the Dean of Students. If, after the Dean of Students has had an opportunity to render his/her decision, the student remains unsatisfied with the resolution of the appeal/grievance, the student, or person(s) acting on behalf of the student, may submit an appeal/grievance in writing, within seven (7) calendar days from the date of the decision by the Dean of Students, to the Provost. If no written request is submitted within the seven-day period, the decision of the Dean of Students shall be final.

(C) Upon the submission of the student’s written request for a review of his or her appeal/grievance, the Provost will consider all facts and circumstances, including the investigatory file as developed by Academic Support Services and any medical evidence presented. The Provost may also interview the student or such other witnesses as may be necessary. If, upon such inquiry, the Provost determines that a proper review of the matter was conducted, the decision of the Dean of Students shall be confirmed. The Provost may also amend, alter or revise the decision and, therefore, the Provost is responsible for the final decision. The Provost will render a decision within thirty (30) calendar days after the appeal/grievance has been submitted to the Provost as described above.

Change of Address

Students who change home addresses during the academic year need to complete a change of status card, which may be secured in the Registrar’s Office.

Withdrawal Policy

Medical Withdrawal:

A student may make a request for a medical withdrawal from a course, or withdrawal for other extraordinary circumstances, through the Dean of Students Office or the Student Academic Development Committee. A request for a medical withdrawal must be accompanied by supporting documentation from the student’s medical/health care provider.

Upon receiving notification of an approved medical withdrawal, the Registrar will enter a grade of “W” which will not be calculated in the student's cumulative GPA. Medical withdrawals may impact College progress- towards-the-degree standards. Students are encouraged to discuss these implications with family, faculty advisors and counselors from Financial Planning or the Dean of Students Office.

Withdrawal from College:

If a student is considering withdrawing from the College, an appointment should be arranged through the Dean of Students Office. A decision to withdraw from the College may have implications including financial aid eligibility and payment schedules. A student should meet with the Dean of Students to discuss withdrawal procedures and to complete the appropriate clearance forms.

If a student withdraws from the College during a semester, the Registrar will enter a grade of “W” for all registered but not completed courses. “W” grades are not calculated in the student's cumulative GPA, but may have other ramifications. Students who withdraw during a semester may still have financial obligations to the College. Students are encouraged to discuss these matters with family, faculty advisors and counselors from Financial Planning and the Dean of Students Office.

Leave of Absence:

Students who want to pursue a program of study at another institution, engage in other off-campus educational experiences, and/or address personal issues without severing their connection with Juniata may request a leave of absence. A leave of absence is granted only with written approval from the Dean of Students Office in consultation with the Registrar. A student requesting a leave of absence must be in good academic standing. Absent extraordinary circumstances, a leave of absence will not exceed one-year.

Any student who plans to take a leave of absence should consult the Registrar, Student Financial Planning, Student Affairs Staff or Dean of Students Staff.

Voluntary Medical Leave of Absence:

When a student’s health impedes normal academic progress and/or a situation requires a student to leave the College for one or more weeks, the student may seek a voluntary medical leave of absence. A medical leave of absence is granted through the Dean of Students Office in consultation with the Registrar. The student will be required to submit supporting documentation from his or her medical/health care provider to substantiate the need for the leave. A student on a medical leave of absence will be required to submit documentation from his or her medical/health care provider attesting to the student's ability to return from the leave of absence (and outlining any reasonable accommodations, if applicable) prior to expiration of the leave of absence.

Upon receiving notification of an approved medical leave of absence, the Registrar will enter a “W” grade for all registered but not completed courses in the current semester. “W” grades are not calculated into the student's cumulative GPA, but may impact progress towards the degree standards. A student who is granted a medical leave of absence may still have financial obligations to the college. The student should consult with Accounting Services and Student Financial Planning to clarify any outstanding financial obligations.

Involuntary Medical Leave of Absence:

A student may be required to take an involuntary medical leave of absence in situations where the student is a threat to his or her own health and safety or the health and safety of others, or where the student's illness or behavior interferes with the academic pursuits of the student or others or interferes with the regular activities of the College community. The student will be notified by the Dean of Students of the reasons for the involuntary leave and any conditions for the student's return. The student will be required to submit documentation from the student's medical/health care provider attesting to the student's ability to return from such a leave (and outlining any reasonable accommodations, if applicable). Supporting documentation, along with the student’s written request to return to the College, must be received by the Dean of Students at least 30 days prior to the first day of the semester in which the student wishes to return. This is designed to provide the College with sufficient time to evaluate the documentation and the student’s request to return as well as to ensure that the student no longer presents any potential threat.

A student on an Involuntary Medical Leave of Absence will receive a “W” grade for all registered but not completed courses in the current semester. “W” grades are not calculated into the student's cumulative GPA and will not be reviewed for academic progress. Financial obligations to the College will be pro-rated based upon the date of involuntary medical leave.

Military Leave of Absence:

A student who receives orders to report for active military duty should contact the Dean of Students Office. The student should be prepared to present a copy of military orders (if timing does not permit an initial presentation of military orders, the student may begin the leave process by submitting, in writing, a personally signed request indicating times and dates of intended call-up). However, when available, a copy of the military orders must be provided in order for the leave process to be completed and any financial reimbursements made.

The Dean of Student Office will notify the Registrar’s Office, Accounting Services, Student Financial Planning Office and if appropriate the Office of Residential Life to expedite the military leave of absence process. The Registrar will enter a grade of “W” for all registered but not completed courses in the current semester. If the leave occurs late in the semester, the student may arrange for a final graded evaluation of his/her course work or take Incompletes for all remaining coursework. The Registrar will add the notation of “Military Leave of Absence” to the student’s transcript.

College Procedures

I. Dean of Students Office:

Initiates the formal "Military Leave of Absence" which would include, if possible, an exit interview. Notifies the Registrar's Office, Accounting Office, Office of Financial Planning, and Office of Residential Life and elicits their assistance in expediting the exit process.

II. Registrar's Office:

Processes a complete withdrawal, entering a grade of "W" for all registered but not completed courses in the current semester. (If the leave occurs late in the semester, the student may arrange through the Registrar for a final graded evaluation of his/her course work or take an Incomplete. This option would have to apply to all currently registered courses). Adds the notation of "Military Leave of Absence" to the student's transcript.

III. Office of Financial Planning:

Schedules a meeting with the student, upon the student's request, to review the particulars of his/her funding. Reviews and evaluates funds already received and gives advice on status of financial aid based on date of the leave. Advises on action required to defer loan payments based on active military duty.

IV. Office of Residential Life:

If the student resides on campus, assists the student to check-out; his/her key is to be left with the Office of Residential Life.

V. Accounting Office:

Refunds complete tuition to student who processes a complete course withdrawal for the current semester. Refunds room and board; charges will be prorated based on the date of military leave of absence. (No refunds can be made until the college has received a copy of the military orders calling the student to active duty.)

The College will refund complete tuition payments to a student who processes a military leave of absence for the current semester. Room and board charges will be prorated based upon the date of the military leave of absence (No refunds can be made until the College has received a copy of the military orders calling the student to active duty).

Upon completion of active military duty, the student will be automatically readmitted to the College by notifying the Registrar’s Office in writing of his/her intent to resume academic study at Juniata. All rights, privileges, academic status and rank are resumed at the same level as prior to the Military Leave of Absence.

Temporary Impairment, Injury & Concussion Accommodations

If you have incurred a temporary impairment, injury, or medical condition that only requires consideration for absences for the time period of two weeks or less and you need a notice of consideration sent to your instructors, please contact the Dean’s office, specifically the Senior Associate Dean of Health and Wellness.

  1. If your condition will persist for more than two weeks, or if you need more accommodations other than absences consideration, please complete an application for accommodations through the Student Accessibility Services.
  2. Complete the Application for Accommodations Request
  3. The Director will contact you about your application to set up an accommodation consultation time.
  4. In the consultation, the Director of Student Accessibility Services will help identify the appropriate accommodations you need and then explain the process for receiving those determined accommodations.
  5. If condition persists past original expected date, you should reach out to the Student Accessibility Services to consider provisional or permanent accommodations. (This will require additional documentation).

Concussions & Accommodations

The First Two Weeks:

If you have incurred a concussion, please contact the Dean’s office and they will send out a consideration to your faculty for the first two weeks of your traumatic brain injury (TBI). If you have not already been evaluated for a concussion, contact Health Services for an evaluation. If this concussion was incurred through athletics, your trainers are qualified to make an initial evaluation.

Notices of Consideration to Instructors include:

Students recovering from a concussion can appear normal to faculty, staff, parents, and friends. However, they can still be facing significant limitations. Even though they may be academically-strong students, concussed students may struggle to return to normal in the classroom.

Faculty and Advisors should watch for subtle changes in the student and report them immediately to the Learning Services office so the student may be re-evaluated. Below are some changes to be aware of :

  • Poor attention span
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Difficulty following directions
  • Reduced short-term memory recall
  • Delayed processing
  • Inability to complete routine tasks
  • Easily distracted
  • Sensitivity to light/noise ( may be wearing sunglasses)
  • Irritable or Withdrawn

Typical consideration for concussed students include: excused class absence, limited screen time, limited reading, or allowing extra time for tests or assignments to be completed. This also includes the ability of the student to communicate with you in a timely manner via email. Please extend consideration to this student at this time. We will continue to update you as we are able.

For Concussion symptoms lasting more than two weeks:

  • Schedule a follow-up concussion evaluation
  • Complete an application in Student Accessibility Services (SAS): Application for Accommodations Request
  • The Director from the SAS office will contact you about your application to set up consultation time.
  • In the consultation, the Director of Student Accessibility Services will identify the appropriate temporary accommodations you need and then explain the process for receiving those determined accommodations.
  • An expiration date will be set up in consultation according to expected end date for temporary accommodations.
  • If condition persists past original expected date, you should reach out to the Student Accessibility Services to consider provisional or permanent accommodations. (This will require additional documentation)

Information Technology and Library Services


Social Media Policy and Guidelines



In all cases, the rights of the non-smokers supersede those of the smokers. Smoking is expressly prohibited in all college-own buildings. The general purpose of the policy on smoking is to protect the health of all students, staff, faculty, and visitors, to avoid conflicts between smoking and non-smoking students, staff, faculty, and visitors, to project a positive image of the college and to take into consideration the appearance and maintenance of college facilities.

The enforcement of the policy will ultimately be the responsibility of all members of the Juniata College community. It is the responsibility of appropriate administrative offices to determine appropriate disciplinary sanctions for violations consistent with current personnel policies and practices.
Visitors to the Juniata campus are expected to comply with this Smoking Policy and all employees are asked to assist in making visitors aware of the policy in their area.

Designated smoking areas will be located at least 20 feet from the main entrances or at containers provided for the disposal of tobacco by-products.

All materials used for smoking, including cigarette butts and matches should be extinguished and disposed of in appropriate containers. If the designated smoking areas are not properly maintained (for example, if cigarette butts are found on the ground), the designation will be eliminated.


All student bicycles should be registered, at no cost, with the office of Public Safety. For safety reasons, bicycles may not be left in rooms, stairwells or hallways of the college buildings, especially residence halls.

In order to discourage thieves, you are advised to have a secure and sturdy bike lock for your two-wheeler and use the bike rack closest to your residence hall. You should also make note of your bike’s serial number and register the information with the Office of Public Safety. There is no registration charge and it may be quite helpful in reclaiming the bike in case of loss or theft. In addition, there is an engraver available in the Public Safety Office to inscribe identification numbers on property such as bicycles.

Huntingdon Borough Ordinance 185 states that, "It shall be unlawful for any person to ride or operate a bicycle upon a public highway unless said bicycles have been properly registered and tagged [...] bicycle shall be operated only on the roadway as near to the right-hand side as possible. The operator of the bicycle shall obey all traffic signals, signs, and the control devices applicable to vehicles. Any person violating or assisting in the violation of any provision of this ordinance shall be sentenced to pay a fine."

Firearms and Related Items

Illegal and/or dangerous weapons, including but not limited to BB / pellet guns, sling shots, and pneumatic weapons that resemble a real firearm, are not permitted on campus. Violators will be subject to disciplinary action and arrested if appropriate. Legal and approved firearms used for sport, target shooting, or hunting, ammunition , archery equipment, knives and other edged - weapons with blades exceeding three inches, and/or devices that can be considered a danger to the campus community must be registered and stored in the Public Safety Office. Firearms that are being stored at the Raystown Field Station must be registered with college staff designee and kept in the gun safe on site.

  • Handguns and assault weapon platforms are prohibited.
  • Students must complete an application/registration for each firearm.
  • All firearms being transported to or from campus must be secured and placed within an approved firearms carrying case.
  • Registered firearms and/or dangerous weapons are not permitted in administrative/ academic buildings or college residence halls. Failure to comply with this regulation may result in expulsion from the college and/ or arrest. 
  • Public Safety or college staff designee will not sign out a firearm to a student who appears to be in an altered mental state, under the influence, or if the request is inconsistent with traditional hunting times.

With proper identification and registration card, students may sign-out registered items by contacting the Public Safety Office or college staff designee.

Intercollegiate Athletics

Title IX governs the overall equity of treatment and opportunity in athletics while giving schools the flexibility to choose sports based on student body interest, geographic influence, budget restraints, and gender ratio. [In other words, it is not a matter of women being able to participate in football or that exactly the same amount of money is spent per women's and men's basketball player. Instead, the focus is on the necessity for women to have equal opportunities as men on a whole, not on an individual basis.]

In regard to intercollegiate athletics, there are three primary areas that determine if an institution is in compliance:

Substantial Proportionality – satisfied when participation opportunities for men and women are “substantially proportionate” to the institution’s undergraduate enrollment.

History and Continuing Practice – satisfied when an institution has a history and continuing practice of program expansion that is responsive to the developing interests and abilities of the underrepresented sex.

Effectively Accommodating Interests and Abilities – satisfied when an institution is meeting the interest and abilities of its underrepresented sex.

Appraisal of compliance is on a program-wide basis, not a sport-by-sport basis.

Dissemination of Policy and Evaluation

This policy shall be made available to all students, parents/guardians of dependent students, staff members, and organizations. This policy and the institution’s compliance with Title IX objectives will be reviewed on an on- going basis. It is the primary responsibility of the Title IX Coordinator to ensure the effective installation, maintenance, processing, record keeping, and notifications required by the grievance procedures. The Title IX Coordinator shall keep all reports and findings on file for a minimum of five years.

*** No person shall be subjected to retaliation for having utilized or having assisted others in the utilization of the reporting or appeals process.

Identification Cards

The college ID card is necessary to gain access to college residence halls and to be admitted to Baker Refectory (also required for many of the activities at the college, including home athletic events and various college- sponsored programs). The ID card is required for checking-out materials at the library.

The card should be carried at all times. Identification cards are non-transferable. If lost or stolen, the ID card can be replaced by request in the Office of Public Safety. A fee is charged for replacement. Failure to show an ID card in response to a request by a college official may result in disciplinary actions and a fine.

Motor Vehicles

All students who bring motor vehicles to the college area, whether to the campus itself or not, must register their cars, motorcycles, motor scooters, or motor bikes with the Office of Public Safety. Upon approval of the registration form, a display sticker is issued and should be placed on the left side of the rear bumper. Failure to register a vehicle by a student results in a fine.


Any registered student may apply for a motor vehicle permit.


A registration fee is assessed at the time the display sticker is issued.


A current vehicle registration sticker properly displayed (left side, rear bumper) entitles a student to park in designated areas authorized for student parking. Parking spaces cannot be guaranteed to sticker holders. Parking in an unauthorized area subjects students to a fine for the first offense, a larger fine for the second offense, and disciplinary action (including loss of on-campus driving privileges) for subsequent offenses.

Traffic Regulations

In addition to the rules and regulations for operating a motor vehicle in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, there are several regulations unique to the Juniata campus:

  • All vehicles must be operated at a reasonable speed on campus streets with particular consideration for pedestrian traffic.
  • All vehicles must yield to pedestrians in cross-walk areas.
  • Improper operation of any motor vehicle may result in loss of motor vehicle privileges on campus.
  • All vehicles must comply with all traffic devices and signs.
  • No unauthorized/ unlicensed vehicles, including two-wheel motor vehicles, shall travel over, or park on, any grass area, macadam, or concrete walkways. Failure to comply with this regulation may result in a fine.
  • Careful compliance should be given to the "no parking" restrictions which are posted —particularly on Moore Street, on the roadway behind Tussey-Terrace Hall, and in the Sherwood and Tussey-Terrace lots.

Borough Parking and Traffic

Areas painted yellow and/or where curbs are painted yellow are non-parking areas.

The Borough of Huntingdon, in an effort to keep the community clean, has designated streets as NO PARKING areas on days when the street sweeper (or snow plow) will be cleaning the streets. Check the signs posted on individual streets regarding parking restrictions.

Unauthorized / Unlicensed Motor Vehicles

Unauthorized/unlicensed motor vehicles (mopeds, motorized scooters, dirt bikes, ATVs etc.) are not permitted to operate on college property, including college-owned streets, walkways, and hiking trails. This restriction does not apply to authorized mobility assistance for individuals with special needs nor to college-owned golf carts and utility vehicles assisting with college operations.

Student Records

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), commonly referred to as the Buckley Amendment, provides college students with certain rights relative to access and release of records that are personally identifiable. Juniata College's policy and procedures relating to the amendment are outlined below:

Student Records

  • Records that can be reviewed by students are maintained by the Registrar, the Director of Career Services, the Dean of Students, the Director of Student Financial Planning, and the Controller.
  • Students have the right to inspect records listed above by asking for an appointment with the  appropriate administrator. Records will be produced within a 45 day period and students have the right to seek the correction of information they consider inaccurate.
  • Students have the right to copies of their records.
  • Personally identifiable information from these records will not be disclosed to a third party without written consent of the student with the exceptions listed below:
    • To other Juniata College administrators and faculty with a legitimate educational need (including faculty advisors and coaches of intercollegiate athletes).
    • To accrediting agencies, certain governmental agencies involved in educational research, legal officers presenting a subpoena, and in emergencies to protect the health and safety of the student or others.
    • Records of request and disclosure of student records will be maintained by the appropriate administrators. These records will indicate the name of the party making the request, any additional party to whom information may be re-disclosed, and the legitimate interest the party had in obtaining the information. These records are available to students.
  • According to the Buckley amendment, students do not have the right to review the following documents which may be in their files:
    • Confidential letters and statements of recommendation which were placed in a file before January 1, 1975.
    • Letters of recommendation that students have waived their right to review.
      Personal notes of faculty members, counselors, and administrators which are written only for the use of the writer.
    • Financial records and statements of parents.

Parental Notification

In the interest of promoting better communication regarding students' academic and personal development, parents of dependent students may receive copies of correspondences involving violations, charges, actions, awards and citations that are sent from the Dean of Students Office to respective students unless we are asked not to send copies (hard waiver). Revealing such information is permissible under section 4.1 Disclosure of Educational Record Information - 3i, which permits colleges to share educational records or components thereof without the written consent of the student to "parents of a student who have established that student's status as a dependent" (chapter 5.3).

The Registrar's Office will release grades and send copies of academic actions including academic probation, suspension and dismissal, to parents of dependent students provided there is a signed consent on file from the respective student.

The Bursar's Office will communicate with parents of dependent students about billing for course registration, room and board, and any incidental fees which are the responsibility of a registered Juniata College student. NOTE: By registering, students are obligated to pay tuition, fees and other charges associated with the registration. Failure to meet these obligations by scheduled due dates, may result in additional costs associated with collection efforts including late fees, collection agency commissions, court costs, and other collection costs that might be incurred.

Student Marriages

Students who marry after their initial enrollment at Juniata must file a change of status card with the Registrar’s Office. Married students are expected to establish residency off-campus.

Bias-Related Confrontations/Incidents

Guidelines for Reporting and Addressing Bias-Related Confrontations/Incidents

Juniata College promotes a community that celebrates respect and inclusion. Attitudes and actions informed by bias create a hostile environment and are unacceptable. When bias-related incidents occur, the cooperation of the college community is expected to ensure that appropriate steps are taken to stop the unacceptable behavior, redress harms, and actively foster a culture of inclusion and support. This three-pronged response will affirm the values of the College and its mission.

A bias incident is an event which expresses negative bias against a person because of a perceived quality of that person such as race, ethnicity, color, national origin, gender, age, sexual identity, gender identity and/or expression, religion, political affiliation, disability, veteran or family status. Bias incidents often increase levels of fear and intergroup tension in communities, and their victims often face greater difficulty coming to terms with their victimization. A bias incident may not always be against a person who is of the targeted group, but it is motivated because the perpetrator believes the victim to be part of the targeted group.

Juniata College makes clear distinctions between bias-related incidents that violate Juniata College policies and illegal intolerance/discrimination based on protected identity characteristics. While criminal or illegal incidents will be reported to local law enforcement and/or the appropriate state and federal offices for civil and/or criminal action, Juniata College responds to bias-related incidents through concurrent processes generated by independent units with responses grounded in their mission, authority, and College policy directives:

  • the Bias Response Team
  • the Dean of Students Office
  • Office of Residential Life
  • Office of Human Resources
  • Public Safety

Juniata Bias Response Team

The Juniata College Bias Response Team is charged with developing appropriate responses to campus issues which may arise from instances of intolerance and/or biased behaviors by working with a group composed of students, faculty, and administrators. Upon receipt of notice that an incident of bias has taken place on campus, the Team will assemble to gather information, consider reactive and proactive responses, and implement solutions that stop the unacceptable behavior, redress harms, and actively foster a culture of inclusion and support.

Reports of bias may be submitted directly through an online intake form, or made in person at the Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (Unity House) or the Dean of Students Office (Founders Hall). Reports may also be forwarded directly to the Bias Response Team. Additionally, key personnel who are made aware of incidents involving bias, such as Residential Life Staff and Public Safety Officers, will also act to ensure that such incidents are brought to the attention of the Bias Response Team for reflection, consideration, and response.

Responses generated by the Bias Response Team will be focused on:

  • Attending to the individuals who experienced the bias, and assuring that they are safe, supported, and provided with restorative processes
  • Responding to the perpetrator of the incident to provide education, the opportunity to take responsibility, redress harms, and create space for healing.
  • Addressing those who were witnesses or contingent to the incident of bias and helping to empower their voices in responding to the incident and contributing to restorative solutions.
  • Educating the broader communities in which the bias incident was sourced or situated to help reduce intolerance, shift or change attitudes, and create conditions whereby equity and inclusion overcome biased views and actions.
  • Affirming our college and community values and standards and drawing clear distinctions about behaviors that are permissible and those that are impermissible.

Getting help for yourself or another

If you  are the victim of bias or witness a bias-related incident, you are urged to report the incident immediately to a campus official:

  • If the incident has been physical and/or if anyone is injured, please contact Juniata College Public Safety at 814-641-3636 or local law enforcement at 911.
  • Share your experience at the Dean of Students Office 814-641-3150 or the Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion 814-641-3125.
  • Complete the online bias report form

Emergency Situations

The college recognizes the possibility that compelling circumstances, such as posing a threat (to oneself or others), may require that certain procedures normally afforded students be suspended. To facilitate the prompt processing for a matter under such circumstances, the Dean of Students or delegate shall determine appropriate sanctions and/or termination of student status.