Financial Aid FAQs


How do I apply for need-based financial aid as an incoming student?

Please visit our Apply for Aid website.

I have received my Admittance letter from Admissions showing my scholarship amount. Am I eligible for any other aid?

If you would like to determine your eligibility for federal student aid such as federal grants, work-study funds, and federal direct student loans, as well as any institutional need-based financial aid, you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at

I don't know if I've been accepted to Juniata College. Should I put Juniata's school code on the FAFSA?

Yes, you should list Juniata College on your FAFSA submission if you have applied for enrollment. It will speed up the financial aid process once accepted. Juniata's school code is 003279.

Our family knows we don't qualify for need-based aid. Should I still complete the FAFSA?

Some families are surprised to find out they qualify for need-based aid. Income is only one of the factors used when determining eligibility for need-based aid. Also, students who plan to borrow Federal Direct Loans or whose parents plan to apply for the Parent PLUS Loan must first complete the FAFSA.

Is there a guarantee of aid in future years?

The Conditional Guarantee assures that a student’s merit aid will remain unchanged for up to eight terms. Because of this, you can plan and budget for each year with the expectation that College aid will continue. The following conditions must be met to maintain the provisions of the Conditional Guarantee:  

  • Significant changes to family or financial circumstances may result in increases or decreases to financial need. 
  • Students must file the renewal application (FAFSA) for aid by April 1st. 
  • Students must meet acceptable standards of academic progress.

My family's financial situation has changed since I filed the FAFSA. What should I do?

If your family is experiencing extenuating circumstances due to loss of job or benefits, separation or divorce, death of a parent or other circumstances, please reach out to the Office of Student Financial Planning at  Please include the student's name, Student ID# and outline the nature of this change. It may be necessary for the family to submit additional documentation after review. We will review your information and try our best to assist you; however, please be aware that a request does not guarantee additional funding.

What steps must I take to have my Federal Direct Loans disbursed?

In order for Student Financial Planning to disburse your Federal Direct Loans, the federal government first requires you to complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Student Loan Entrance Counseling. Please be sure to select “I’m an Undergraduate Student” once opening the links, and you will use the same information to log in as you did in completing your FAFSA.

What should I do if I want to decline some/all of my federal direct loan eligibility?

Students can decline any portion (or all) of their federal direct loan eligibility. Please email to share which portion of your federal loan eligibility you wish to decline for the current academic year.

My parents would like to apply for a Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS). How do they do that?

The Parent PLUS application can be found at Parents must log in using their own FSA ID and password in completing the application. After completing the online application, please complete the Direct PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN). The Office of Student Financial Planning will be notified electronically that your PLUS Loan is ready to process. It is recommended you wait until after June 1st to apply for the upcoming academic year.

I have questions about billing, a payment plan, or adding a parent as an authorized user to view my bill. Who do I contact?

Please contact Juniata’s Bursar’s Office at bursarsoffice@juniata.ed  or 814-641-3188 or visit their website at

My financial aid has been applied, but I still have a balance owed. What are my options?

Please visit the Tuitions & Payments website.

Who should I speak with regarding Veteran’s Programs?

Please review Juniata's website for Veteran’s Programs ( to familiarize yourself with Juniata’s procedures. Any questions that you may have can be directed to Meghan Yale in the Dean of Students Office at or (814) 641- 3161.

I have received an outside scholarship, where do I send it?

Payments can be sent to our Bursar’s Office at Juniata College C/O Bursar’s Office 1700 Moore St. Huntingdon, PA 16652.

Where can I find information about scholarships I can apply for?

Please view our Scholarships website.


Financial Aid Policies


Refund Policy

Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress


Professional Judgement & Provisional Independence