Guidelines for Entering Freshmen

The Admission Committee encourages students to apply to Juniata if they demonstrate the proper desire, motivation, and maturity needed to benefit from a four-year private college experience. Such qualities are evaluated through the application requirements listed below. The Admission Committee places the most emphasis on a student's high school transcript. In addition, standardized tests, activities, community involvement and all the things that make up the student's life are important in the review. Juniata seeks a broad student population base that includes a wide geographic and cultural representation from a variety of social and economic backgrounds. 

The College reserves the right to determine which applicants will be admitted. The selection of candidates is made without regard to race, sex, religion, creed, national origin, and or handicap. 

Application and Information

Students may apply to Juniata using the Common Application any time after completion of their junior year in secondary school. The Common Application begins accepting applications August 1 of the senior year. A complete secondary school transcript indicating courses and grades (including senior year courses and grades to date) must be sent from the applicant's guidance office along with SAT-I and/or ACT scores, an essay, and a letter of recommendation. 

Candidates for freshman admission can choose from three application options - Early Decision I, Early Decision II, and Regular Decision: 

  • Early Decision – Application Deadline November 15. The Early Decision option is available for those students who know that Juniata is their number one choice. Early Decision is a binding agreement; applicants agree to apply ED only to Juniata and to enroll if offered admission. ED students receive admission notification by December 15th. Accepted ED students will receive financial aid notification by late January. A non-refundable $400 deposit is required by February 15th. Please refer to the Early Decision Information section of the Common Application when deciding whether or not to apply as an ED candidate. 
  • Early Action – Application Deadline Dec. 1. 
  • Early Action II - Application Deadline Jan. 15th. The Early Action option is available for those students who decide that Juniata is one of their top choices and would like to submit and hear their admission decision earlier than Regular Decision. Once all required materials are received, EA applicants will typically receive an admission decision by February 15th. If applying for need-based aid, students must complete the FAFSA by February 15th. The EA option is non-binding agreement. Students accepted as an Early Action candidate must submit a non-refundable $400 deposit by May 1 to reserve a space in the entering class. 
  • Regular Decision – Application Deadline March 15*. Regular Decision Candidates are encouraged to apply in the fall. Decisions are released based on application round, and date of submission. Most Regular Decision candidates will hear 
    back by March 1st. Students who apply before November 1 may receive an admission decision in the fall. Students applying after January 1 will receive a decision 4 to 6 weeks after the application is complete. Students who wish to be considered for all additional competitive scholarships should have their application submitted no later than January 5. Students accepted as a Regular Decision candidate must submit a non-refundable $400 deposit by May 1 to reserve a space in the entering class. 

Note:  Students who wish to be considered for all additional competitive scholarships should have their application submitted no later than January 1. Most merit scholarships are not determined based on date of submission, and admission preference is not given to those who apply earlier in the application period.

* - Please call the Enrollment Center (814-641-3420) to inquire whether applications are still being accepted beyond any application deadline.

Contents of Application

An application for admission consists of the components listed below. Credentials that are reviewed include: high school academic record, SAT or ACT test results, completed application form including evidence of extracurricular involvement, recommendation letter(s), and a personal essay. 

High School Transcript A secondary school program including at least 16 college preparatory courses from an approved public, private, or parochial school must be completed or anticipated. These courses must include a minimum of four years of academic English, two years of a foreign language, and a combination of mathematics, laboratory science courses, social sciences and humanities. 

A complete secondary school transcript must be sent from the applicant’s guidance office, noting all courses taken and grades received from the freshman year through the junior year. A listing of courses to be taken in the senior year should accompany this transcript and grades from the first marking period and/or the first semester should be sent when they become available. Upon graduation, students must submit a final secondary school transcript noting graduation date and guidance counselor signature or raised seal. 

Standardized Test Results Results of the Scholastic Assessment Tests (SAT-I) taken in the junior and/or senior year are required unless the student chooses to participate in Juniata's Optional Standardized Test Program. The American College Test (ACT), taken in either the junior or senior year, may be substituted for the SAT-I. Applicants whose native language is not English also must provide results of a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or scores from an approved English language program. International applicants who have studied wholly in an English speaking high school are required to submit an SAT/ACT score. All other international students are not required to submit SAT or ACT scores but should still submit TOEFL (or similar) results. SAT-II: Subject Tests are not required but may be submitted for admission consideration. Contact the Admissions Office for more information. 

Application Form Juniata uses the "Common Application" and the “Coalition Application”. Application forms may be submitted at www.commonapp.org and http://www.coalitionforcollegeaccess.org/. Only one application is required. The application requires a listing of extracurricular activities in both school and community, guidance counselor or teacher letter(s) of recommendation, and an essay which answers one of the essay questions listed in the application for admission. The applicant should complete the form and submit it online. 

Campus Visits

Although not generally required for admission, the College strongly recommends that each prospective student make a visit to campus. A campus visit serves as an opportunity to learn more about the College, its students, and faculty, and is a great way for the admission team to meet interested students. During the academic year, the enrollment center has a variety of visit options. Students are encouraged to visit https://www.juniata.edu/admission/campus-visit/ to select the appropriate visit program to serve their information needs. In general the Enrollment Center is open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Mondays through Fridays from September through April, and for selected Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 1PM. Appointments for the summer months can be scheduled for 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. weekdays. Please contact the Office of Admission at 814-641-3428 for more information or to schedule an appointment. 

Guidelines for Transfer Students

Applicants are considered transfer students if they have graduated from an approved secondary school program and completed the equivalent of one full-time semester of coursework at a regionally accredited community college, junior college, or four-year institution. Student's work will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Notification of a transfer admission decision is given within one month upon receipt of all credentials. 

Application deadlines for transfer students are July 1 for fall semester entry and December 1 for spring semester entry, though earlier submission is highly encouraged. 

First semester freshmen who transfer a semester worth of transfer credits may have to take CWS (College Writing Seminar) even if they have taken English credits. All students must complete the CWS intake essay, and will be evaluated on a case by case basis regarding whether or not they will be required to take CWS. 

Contents of Transfer Application

An application for transfer admission consists of the following components: 

Application Juniata uses the "Common Application" Transfer Application. Forms may be obtained at www.commonapp.org. The application requires transfer statement which explains why the student wishes to transfer. The applicant should complete the application and submit online. 

High School Transcripts The Office of Admission requires an official, final high school transcript indicating final grades, class rank (if applicable) and date of graduation. The transcript should be sent directly from the school to the Juniata admission office. Students with more than 24 credits are not required to send their high school transcripts. 

Standardized Test Scores SAT and or ACT scores should also be submitted. Scores can either be sent directly from the testing agency, or may be indicated on the official high school transcript. Juniata 's code number for the SAT is 2341, and for the ACT 3600. SAT/ACT results are often waived for qualified transfer students whose previous institution did not require scores for admission. 

College Transcripts Transfer applicants must also submit an official transcript from each college previously attended and a college catalog or course descriptions of classes taken at previous institutions. The transcript must be sent directly to Juniata from the former institution(s). Catalogs and course descriptions are used to evaluate transfer credit. 

Transfer College Report Form The Transfer College Report Form is a required document before your matriculation to Juniata College. It must be completed by a college official who has access to your academic and disciplinary records. The form can also be found at https://www.juniata.edu/admission/student-info/transferring-credits.php  

Financial Aid

All transfer students offered admission are eligible to apply for financial aid. The application procedure is the same as that for new freshman students and is found under the section “Student Finances.’’ For further information, contact: Molly Thompson, Transfer Coordinator, thompsm@juniata.edu, 814-641-3425. 

Transfer Credit

Juniata does not accept in transfer any coursework below a grade of "C-" nor coursework of a strictly technical or remedial nature, nor physical education coursework. Credit is normally only awarded for courses taken at an accredited institution. Special circumstances may affect the transferability of an individual student record. These cases will be handled on an individual basis and decisions will be based on Juniata's academic policy. An official credit evaluation will be completed by the Office of the Registrar after a student has been admitted to Juniata. 

Students will have their work evaluated on a course-by-course basis. Courses equivalent to Juniata's curriculum course description will be granted direct course equivalence. Coursework accepted in transfer may be used to meet both liberal arts graduation requirements and Program of Emphasis requirements. 

While Juniata will accept credit from any regionally accredited college or university, the college has formal transfer agreements with Harrisburg Area Community College and Penn Highlands Community College. Articulation agreements are in place to facilitate the transfer of credit from one institution to another. Contact the Transfer Coordinator at either institution for more information. 

Other Admissions Programs

Supported Admission

Students who are offered Supported Admission are admitted to Juniata with the belief that they have the potential to succeed in college, but would benefit from extra mentoring and assistance from QUEST staff. 

During the fall semester, all freshmen enroll in the required four-credit foundation course - College Writing Seminar - designated to provide first year students with reading, writing, computer, library, time management, and study skills necessary for success in college. For a Supported Admission student, a specially designated Freshman Advisor is the student's CWS instructor or a professor during the first semester. Freshmen Advisors work closely with students to monitor their academic performance and address individual needs. 

The program for Supported Admission students includes regularly scheduled, required appointments with an academic counselor (at least five such meetings) throughout the fall semester to monitor and assess progress in each class, discuss issues related to transitioning into college, discuss how to prepare for and take tests, give pre-registration advice, assist with selection of a second adviser, and review many other topics appropriate to the individual circumstances of each student. 

Supported Admission students also benefit from resources offered through or coordinated by QUEST. These include use of the Writing Center, how to best utilize the faculty and advisors, determining when referral to the counseling center is appropriate, how to build an academic schedule and design a Program of Emphasis, how to go about exploring possible careers, etc. There is a broad network of support and advisors available to all students. 

While receiving the additional support described herein, Supported Admission students carry a typical course load of 12-16 credits during the first semester and are in no way distinguishable from their peers in the classroom. Upon completion of one semester in good academic standing, the student is no longer required to have regular appointments with QUEST staff, but is able to utilize the office's continued advocacy and resources. 

Deferred Admission

Deferred Admission is designed for students who wish to begin their college studies at a time other than the fall semester after graduation from secondary school. Application procedures and requirements are the same as for all other applicants. Candidates should note their interest to be considered under the Deferred Admission Program by contacting the admission office. Students may defer admission for up to one year. 

Spring Semester Admission

Application procedures and requirements are the same as fall admission. The Spring semester application deadline is December 1, though earlier submission is encouraged. Interested persons may contact the Enrollment Center for further information. 

Early Admission

Juniata encourages applications from students who demonstrates the aptitude, desire and maturity to begin college level work prior to the completion of his/her secondary school program. Students may consider enrolling at Juniata the last year or the last semester of their senior year. A formal application for admission must be completed. In addition students must: 1) Have an admission interview on campus; 2) Provide a written recommendation from their guidance counselor supporting their application for early admission and indicating they will receive a diploma either at the end of their junior year or after they have successfully completed one year of college level work, which includes college level English; and 3) Provide a written statement from their parents indicating approval of early admission. Applicants are expected to meet all other admission requirements. 

Home-Schooled Students

Juniata welcomes applications from students who are home-schooled and have been approved by their local school district. Students must submit an application for admission and include standardized test results, an application essay, letter(s) of recommendation and portfolio of academic work. Students are also encouraged to interview and submit additional information to support their application. Please contact the Juniata Home School Coordinator in the Enrollment Center for further information. 

International Students

International students are strongly encouraged to submit applications. The procedures for admission are the same as for other freshman or transfer applicants, In addition, for applicants whose native language is not English, a TOEFL score of 80 Internet-based (or equivalent IELTS or Pearson PTE Academic) or higher is required for unconditional admission to Juniata. 

Minumum section scores are also required. (https://www.juniata.edu/academics/departments/international/english-for-academic-purposes/courses.php) 

All students who submit a TOEFL score, however may still be tested upon arrival to ensure appropriate course placement, including ESL courses. If you have submitted a score lower than 80 iBT/550 PBT, or you test below that level on arrival, your status will be English-Conditional. Students who have studied in the US or have been taught in a curriculum where the language of instruction is English may be eligible for a TOEFL waiver. Please contact the Admission office for details. 

A complete set of original or notarized educational credentials with certified English translations is also necessary for international applicants and is required before eligibility for admission can be determined. In addition, an affidavit of financial responsibility is required (by U.S. law) before an I-20 form (necessary for procuring a student visa from a U.S. Embassy or Consulate) can be issued. 

Further information regarding international applications is available from: 

Director of International Admission 

Enrollment Center 

Juniata College 

Huntingdon, PA 16652-2196 USA 

FAX: (814) 641-3100 E-mail: usastudy@juniata.edu  

English-Conditional Admission

International applicants with TOEFL test scores of 52 - 79 Internet-Based (iBT)*/470 – 549 Paper-Based (PBT)* may, if otherwise qualified academically, be granted English-Conditional (EC) Admission, provided they complete the appropriate English as a Second Language (ESL) coursework in Juniata's English for Academic Purposes (EAP). 

The IEP follows all Juniata policies regarding advancement in its courses. Students may earn up to 15 credits in their ESL courses toward graduation requirements. While taking ESL courses the IEP faculty evaluates the students' English proficiency and they may enroll in academic coursework outside the IEP when appropriate. 

*Equivalent IELTS and Pearson PTE scores are also accepted. 

International Baccalaureate

International Baccalaureate Diploma recipients are granted credit for one full year (30 credits) toward a degree at Juniata. Students who have an IB Diploma normally enter the College with sophomore standing. IB certificate recipients receive course credit for each higher level examination passed with a score of 5 or higher. To receive this credit the student will meet with the appropriate department chair or designee to consider the advantage or disadvantage of accepting credit. IB credits may be counted toward degree requirements. 

Non-Degree Students

Any person who wants to take coursework at Juniata as a non-degree student need not apply for admission consideration, but must provide proof of academic ability. The Registrar enrolls and registers all non-degree candidates. 

Non-degree students are required to fill out the registration form located at our Registrar's Office website under Class Schedules: http://services2.juniata.edu/registrar/jcsa/index.php Cost of course credit will be the tuition charge of part-time tuition. 

Non-Traditional Student Admission Programs

Returning Adult Students

Qualified students who have been away from the classroom are welcome to attend Juniata. Courses are offered for both degree and non-degree seeking students and may be taken on either a full-time or part-time basis. Students are enrolled in regular Juniata classes; there are currently no evening, weekend, or accelerated programs for returning adult students. Students must meet admission criteria. Degree-seeking students may apply either as transfer or freshman students. Consult the Enrollment Center for further details. 

Education Certification Program

Students with a B.A. or B.S. from an accredited four-year American college or university and who meet Education Department criteria may take courses at Juniata to receive their education certification. Students may take courses on a full-time or part-time basis. A minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA in the student's previous coursework is required. Consult the Enrollment Center or Education Department for further details. 

Second Baccalaureate Degree Program

Students who have earned a bachelor's degree at an accredited, domestic American university or college and desire a second bachelor's degree reflecting in-depth study in a discipline other than that of their first degree may enroll upon completion of application requirements. Courses from a previous degree will be evaluated on a course by course basis and may be used to fulfill graduation requirements. Students must meet all Juniata graduation requirements, fulfill the department requirements within the new discipline, and observe the College residency requirement. International students who desire a second degree will be evaluated individually for their candidacy. For further information, contact the Enrollment Center. 

Senior Citizens Program

Citizens who are 60 years of age or older may take courses on a part-time basis. 

High School Student Program

Juniata continues to support what was previously known as Dual Enrollment for high school students in our non-degree visiting student program for Huntingdon County and the surrounding area. In the interest of promoting a positive post secondary experience, eligible high school juniors and seniors may take one course per semester (maximum of 4) with approval from their high school guidance counselors or instructional supervisor. Student eligibility and readiness for college-level course work is determined by the high school guidance counselor or instructional supervisor. 

Course availability and registration is based on open seats and prerequisite and co-requisite requirements. All College policies regarding registration, tuition and fees are applied. Tuition does not include fees for labs, field trips, supplies, books or other incidentals. High school students are not permitted to register for College Writing Seminar (CWS), Internship, Credit by Exam, or Independent Study. Registration is facilitated by submitting the Visiting Student Registration form to the high school guidance counselor, or the student's instructional supervisor, who will forward the approved registration form to the Registrar's Office at Juniata College. Tuition for the High School Student Program is $100 per credit. Tuition statements are sent directly to the student, not the high school. Students who are eligible for free or reduced lunch at their high school are eligible for free tuition in the High School Student Program. 


Cost and Financial Aid

Student Financial Planning

Juniata College offers a wide array of student financial planning services, ranging from deferred payment plans to scholarship programs. The Office of Student Financial Planning provides substantial, diverse funding and planning opportunities for all families regardless of means. 

Families may have unique circumstances that affect their ability to meet college expenses. While some families may have little interest in traditional forms of financial assistance, others require support from the many resources available from federal, state, and institutional programs. Student Financial Planning staff members are available to help identify sources of financial support, and to discuss funding resources and opportunities. 

Sources of Aid

Generally, the resources available to provide assistance fall into three broad categories: scholarships and grants, loans, and work.

Scholarships and grants are commonly termed "gift" assistance and need not be repaid (unless so stipulated as a condition of the award). 


Grants are usually provided to meet a student's financial need as established through the submission of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Please review the section titled, "APPLYING FOR FINANCIAL AID" for further information. 


Scholarships are generally awarded in recognition of academic achievement, talent, or some other characteristic. Financial need may not necessarily be a selection requirement. 

Competitive Scholarship programs: 

Juniata offers an array of competitive scholarships that recognize the outstanding achievements of incoming students without regard to financial need. Academic Scholarships at Juniata reward students who do well academically, but also contribute to their school and community by getting involved. For most scholarships at Juniata, all you have to do is apply to be considered! 

The list of possible academic scholarships is listed below: 

  • James Quinter Scholarships – honors the College’s first president 
  • Calvert Ellis Scholarships – honors the president who led Juniata in the post-World War II era 
  • M.G. Brumbaugh Scholarships – honors the College’s third and fifth president 
  • Elizabeth Baker Scholarships – honors a philanthropist dedicated to the pursuit of peace 
  • Phoebe Norris Scholarships – honors a woman in the first graduating class of 1879
  • Juniata College Scholarships – honors the College’s learning philosophy, tradition and alumni 
  • Phi Theta Kappa Transfer Scholarships – Two scholarships are awarded annually to Phi Theta Kappa students who transfer to Juniata. Students who have active PTK membership at their current community college and at least a 3.85 GPA are eligible for consideration 
  • Scholarships in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (S-STEM) for Transfer Students – In conjunction with the National Science Foundation, Juniata will award six scholarships worth up to $10,000 to students who transfer to Juniata in their junior year from a strong two-year college. The awards are competitive and are based on academic achievement, financial need, and commitment to students in STEM areas. As part of the scholarship, each student will also receive a paid and mentored summer undergraduate research experience at Juniata. 
  • Top Scholar’s Award 

Other academic scholarships that are not awarded every year include the W. Clay and Kathryn H. Burkholder Scholarship, Ronald L. Cherry Scholarship, Richard M. Simpson Scholarship and Larry Johnson Scholarship. 

Juniata College also offers Heritage and Ray Day Scholarships to students who show commitment to academic excellence, leadership and community service that culminate in a level of understanding among diverse groups. 

"External" Scholarships 

Many students receive scholarships that are awarded by agencies other than Juniata (Lion's Club, PTA, Rotary, etc.). Students are encouraged to explore these opportunities that often reduce the family's cost of education. 


Loans permit students and parents to defer a portion of the cost of education over an extended period of time. The federal government, the College, and private agencies offer programs that seek to provide educational financing at reasonable rates. Further information is available from the Office of Student Financial Planning. 

Student Employment

Juniata provides both on and off-campus student employment opportunities to help defray educationally related expenses. While the College cannot guarantee that every eligible student will secure employment, there has been an even balance between available positions and students interested in work. Further information about available positions may be found on Handshake. 

Community Work Study

The Community Work Study Program places Federal Work Study-eligible students at community agencies across Huntingdon County for part-time employment in service to the community. Students earn minimum wage while aiding organizations, become more efficient with program/event planning, and engage with the community. Tutoring programs such as the Huntingdon Community Center After-School Program, the Salvation Army ARC of Learning Program and the Bethel AME After-School program work with Huntingdon Co. youth and provide tutoring for K-12. There are also positions available with other agencies. Information, position descriptions, and applications will be available in the Office of Community Engagement. 

Eligibility for Financial Aid

Students must meet the following conditions to be considered eligible for most aid programs. 

Enrollment Status

Normally students must be enrolled in a degree or certification program to be considered eligible for most College aid.

Semester Course Load

Most institutional aid requires the student enroll for twelve or more credits per semester. Students who enroll for half-time (six or more) credits may receive federal and state resources. 


Many aid programs require that recipients be citizens, permanent residents, or certain stipulated refugee statuses. Exceptions include several institutional aid programs and student employment. 

Off-Campus/ Study Away

Generally, students who participate in College affiliated programs (including internships, student teaching, and study abroad) are fully eligible for most forms of assistance. Participating students apply for aid in the usual manner. 

Maximum Value for Institutional Scholarships, Grants, and Benefits

It is College policy that any combination of institutional aid cannot exceed the value of tuition, except in several unique scholarship categories. 

Juniata’s Conditional Guarantee

A student's commitment to attend Juniata is matched by a corresponding commitment from the College. The Conditional Guarantee assures you that College-sponsored aid will remain unchanged for the student's four year of attendance. Because of this you can plan and budget for each year with the expectation that College aid will not be reduced. 

The following conditions must be met to maintain the provisions of the Conditional Guarantee: 

  • Students must meet acceptable standards of academic progress (see Catalog). 
  • Students must file renewal applications for aid by April 1. 
  • Significant changes to family or financial circumstances may result in changes to financial assistance. 

Cost of Education Budget

Resident Students and Those Living in Off-Campus College Housing (2023/24)

Tuition *








Mandatory Fees


Personal Expenses


Transportation Expenses

$250-900 (** varies by state)

Total (used to determine aid)


Total Direct Costs (paid to JC)


* Books are included in tuition and fees.

** Students from states other than Pennsylvania or Maryland will have their travel budgets increased in recognition of the additional transportation costs borne by students whose residence is geographically distant from Juniata. Contact the Office of Student Financial Planning for more information. 


Commuting Students

Tuition *


Mandatory Fees


Personal Expenses


Transportation Expenses


Total (used to determine aid)


Total Direct Costs (paid to JC)


* Books are included in tuition and fees.


Applying for Financial Aid

Requirements and Timing

New students (freshmen and transfers) must be admitted to the College before financial aid can be awarded. New students should file applications for assistance by March 1 to ensure they are considered for all available funding. Non-degree students pursuing teacher certification should contact the Office of Student Financial Planning for additional information. 

Continuing need-based aid recipients must reapply each year by April 1. Students who fail to meet the deadline date cannot be guaranteed that their funding will remain at levels consistent with the previous years. Students seeking need-based financial aid must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) annually.

Students may pursue aid adjustments at any time based on special (loss of a job, etc.) or unusual (refugee or asylum status, parental incarceration, etc.) circumstances.


Students and their families may have to complete several applications to receive consideration for various financial aid programs. Forms generally fall into two categories: applications used to determine eligibility for need-based aid and loan applications. 

Applications Which Determine Financial Need

Juniata College uses The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine eligibility for need-based assistance. Families should carefully review the following information to decide which application(s) should be filed.

New Freshman (Never Attended Post-Secondary Schools)

The FAFSA must be submitted no later than Feb 15th. Electronic applications must be filed through the https://studentaid.gov/ website. Families are strongly encouraged to secure a FSA User ID (username & password) to serve as your login to various U.S. Department of Education Systems, including the FAFSA. Your FSA ID confirms your identity when you access your financial aid information and electronically sign Federal Student Aid documents. You should never share your FSA ID with anyone. The FSA User ID can be created by going to https://studentaid.gov/fsa-id/create-account/launch.

Each student needs a FSA ID. For dependent students, the parent providing the income information on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will also need to register for a FSA ID. 

New Transfer Students or Freshmen with Other Post-Secondary Attendance

The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). 

Returning Juniata Students

Renewal reminders for the FAFSA will be sent to each student's email address beginning in December. 

Loan Applications

Students are required to complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN) and entrance counseling as the chief application for a Federal Direct Loan. These will be completed only once for the student’s entire borrowing history. (In subsequent years the financial aid award letter from the College will serve as the document used to preserve or adjust the loan value). Parents interested in borrowing the Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) follow similar procedures.

Financial Aid Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress

All students (including international students) enrolled at Juniata College are subject to the academic standards of the College, which are printed in the College catalog. In addition, students receiving financial aid, in order to continue to receive financial aid, must meet other requirements as described in detail in this statement of Satisfactory Academic Progress. 

The Higher Education Act of 1965 (HEA), as amended, mandates institutions of higher education to establish minimum standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for students receiving financial aid. Program Integrity Regulations, modifying these requirements, were issued October 29, 2010, with an effective date of July 1, 2011. In order to comply with these requirements, Juniata College has established the following definition or standard of Satisfactory Academic Progress for undergraduate students. 

The federal programs governed by this regulation include Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, Federal Work Study, Federal Direct Student Loans and Federal Direct PLUS Loans. Specific guidelines for other financial aid programs, including Juniata funded awards are noted throughout the policy and summarized at the end of the document.

To be considered as maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress, both full-time and less than full-time students must meet the following standards: 


Students must successfully complete an average of 67% of their cumulative, attempted credit hours as transcripted by the Registrar’s Office. 

Qualitative Measure

All students must maintain a cumulative grade point average corresponding with the table below, as transcripted by the Registrar’s Office. 

Credits Attempted (Including Transfer Credits) Minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average 

0-35.99 1.66

36-61.99 1.80

62-89.99 1.95

90 or more 2.00

Grade Level Progression

In order to advance to the next academic grade level for financial aid purposes, the following credit hours must be completed: 

To advance to: You must complete: 

Grade Level 2 — 24 credit hours 

Grade Level 3 — 54 credit hours 

Grade Level 4 — 87 credit hours 

Special Notes
Generally, it takes 120 credit hours to obtain a Bachelor’s Degree. To graduate in four years, a student must enroll for, and earn, an average of 15 credit hours per semester. Earning only 12 credit hours per semester (minimum for full-time) would extend graduation beyond the four year standard. Therefore, students who receive Juniata sponsored merit scholarships and need-based grants should average at least 15 credits per semester. Also, certain financial aid resources, such as the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency and other state grants, require a minimum of 12 credits earned per semester and are only available for 8 semesters.

Maximum Time Frame
Under Federal regulation, the maximum time frame that a student may have to complete an undergraduate program is 150% of the published length of the educational program for a full-time student. Juniata College has chosen to make this measurement on a credit hour basis. In most cases, a student must have earned 120 credit hours to complete an undergraduate degree. Therefore, it is expected that all students will complete all degree requirements by the time the student has earned 180 credit hours. Transfer credits reflected on a student’s transcript count as attempted and earned credit hours. Students who do not complete their program within this time frame can continue to attend, but they will not be able to continue to receive financial aid. All Juniata sponsored Merit scholarships and need-based grants are limited to 8 semesters of eligibility, unless the student has experience unusual or mitigating circumstances that prevented degree completion within 8 semesters. 

Additional Undergraduate Degrees
Students pursuing a second undergraduate, baccalaureate degree, including Teacher Certification, are limited to 90 attempted credit hours of work between receipt of the first degree and completion of the second. Second degree students may not receive federal direct loans beyond 90 attempted credit hours of enrollment in the second undergraduate degree program.

Frequency of Progress Checks

The Office of Student Financial Planning will conduct the official check of Satisfactory Academic Progress at the conclusion of the academic year, following spring semester, regardless of whether the student received financial aid or not.

If a student fails to achieve Satisfactory Academic Progress, the student will be informed of this via letter or electronic mail from the Office of Student Financial Planning. Included in this communication will be information on the student’s status, the effect of this status on the student’s financial aid eligibility, and any actions the student must take. The notice will be sent to the student’s most current addresses on file. It is the responsibility of the student to inform the College of a correct mailing address at all times. If sent by electronic mail, the student’s Juniata College electronic mail address will be used for all such communications. 

The Dean of Students Office will be notified of students who failed to achieve Satisfactory Academic Progres. 

Appeal Process

Following the first semester in which the student does not meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress standard, the student will not be able to receive financial aid for the next period of enrollment unless the student successfully appeals. 

The requirements of this Satisfactory Academic Progress policy can be appealed based on the following circumstances: 

  • Death or serious injury or illness of an immediate relative 
  • Student injury or illness which required medical intervention 
  • Significant, unanticipated family obligations 
  • Catastrophic loss (e.g. flood, fire, etc.) 
  • Other special circumstances. 

The student’s appeal must include: 

  • An explanation of why the student failed to make Satisfactory Academic Progress. In other words, explain how the circumstance prevented the student from performing up to his or her normal academic potential. 
  • A description of what has changed that will allow the student to achieve Satisfactory Academic Progress status in the coming semester. 

To appeal the loss of Satisfactory Academic Progress status, the student should submit the information to the Juniata College Office of Student Financial Planning, along with any supporting documentation (e.g. death certificate, doctor’s note, letter from academic advisor or other 3rd party). The Director of Student Financial Planning reserves the right to request additional information on a case-by-case basis. 

Approvals/Financial Aid Probation

Students who successfully appeal are granted Financial Aid Probation status for one semester. The student will be notified by letter or by electronic mail to their Juniata email account of the results of the SAP appeal. 

The student should carefully review the SAP appeal notification, which will outline the unique, individualized SAP requirements the student must meet in order to maintain eligibility for federal financial aid. For example, a student who has failed to meet the 67% pace requirement, may be told in the appeal notification that s/he must maintain a higher minimum pace on a term by term basis, as well as earn a certain minimum GPA each semester, in order to maintain eligibility for federal financial aid. The student must keep the appeal notification for future reference. 

Academic Plan/Statement of Intent

A part of the appeal process can be the establishment of an academic plan/statement of intent designed to help the student regain Satisfactory Academic Progress standing. The Academic Plan/Statement of Intent can be part of the student’s appeal. The academic plan/statement of intent is worked out between the student, his or her academic advisor, and/or the Registrars’ Office. 

The academic plan/statement of intent is not required at the start of the probationary semester. But, if the student fails to regain Satisfactory Academic Progress status at the end of the probationary semester, the student must be successfully following the academic plan/statement of intent in order to continue to receive financial aid. 

The academic plan/statement of intent must define how the student can regain Satisfactory Academic Progress status by a specific point in time. 


If a SAP appeal is denied, the decision is final for the enrollment term specified by the student on the appeal form. A student may be able to re-establish eligibility on his/her own, for future semesters, by completing sufficient credit hours and/or improving his/her GPA such that s/he then meets the SAP requirements. Please contact The Office of Student Financial Planning if you have questions about reestablishing eligibility. 

Financial Aid Probation

A student is considered to be on Financial Aid Probation during the first semester s/he receives federal financial aid under an approved SAP appeal. 

Important - Please Note: A successful appeal of academic suspension is unrelated to financial aid suspension and does not result in reinstatement of a student’s financial aid eligibility. Appealing one’s financial aid suspension status is a separate process. 

Financial Aid: The crediting of financial aid ceases for withdrawing students in the semester in which separation occurs. Federal regulations require that refunds be made in the same order as credited. Credits are applied to bills in the following order: 

  • Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loans (other than PLUS loans)
  • Subsidized Federal Direct Loans
  • Federal Direct PLUS Loans
  • Federal Pell Grants for which a Return of funds is required
  • Federal TEACH Grant for which a Return of funds is required
  • Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grants for which a Return of funds is required
  • Other assistance under this Title for which a Return of funds is required (e.g., LEAP)
  • State Grants
  • Juniata Grants and Scholarships
  • Other payments



Repeated Courses

Some students repeat courses they have passed in order to raise their grade point averages (GPA). Be aware that repeating a course for which credit has been earned (a grade of “D-” or higher received), will not result in additional, earned (i.e. new) credit for financial aid/academic progress or degree requirement purposes. When repeating courses for which credit has already been earned, students should plan their class schedules carefully to ensure that they continue to meet SAP requirements. 


Courses for which a student receives a grade of "W" are included in the number of attempted hours, but do not count as earned credit hours for SAP purposes. 

Transfer Credits

Transfer credits reflected on a student's Juniata academic transcript are counted as both attempted and earned credit hours for SAP purposes. This includes college credits earned either as a full or part-time college student at another institution or through dual enrollment. 

Other Grades

Courses for which Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory grades are received count as both attempted and earned credit hours for SAP purposes. Courses for which a student receives the grade of “AU” (audit) will not count as attempted or earned for SAP courses. 

*Renewal of Juniata Scholarships and Grants

Students receiving Juniata funding must earn an average of 12 credits per semester in order to have the award renewed, unless the student has experience unusual or mitigating circumstances that prevented him/her from completing the credits. 

Juniata sponsored Merit scholarships and need-based grants are limited to 8 semesters of eligibility, unless the student has experience unusual or mitigating circumstances that prevented degree completion within 8 semesters. 


Students who fail to meet the progress standards noted above have several options. They may supplement credit earned by attending summer school; they may continue without aid; or they may petition for the reinstatement of aid. Appeals must be in writing and based on unusual, mitigating, or extraordinary circumstances which impeded their ability to maintain progress standards. (NOTE: Appeals granted by the Office of Student Financial Planning have no bearing on decisions made by the Student Academic Development Committee.) 


At a time when most higher education institutions’ charges continue to outpace the general inflation rate, a Juniata College education remains affordable for students of appropriate academic ability. Despite the continued rise in the costs of services required for education, Juniata has managed to hold inevitable fee increases to moderate levels, often resulting in pricing a Juniata education below that of comparable institutions, increasing the real value of our educational product. 

General Fee

Charges are based on a general fee covering most of the annual costs to a student: 


Resident Students

Non-resident Students

Fall Semester



Spring Semester






The general fee is applied to regular instructional costs: use of Juniata’s library and instructional facilities; academic services; personal student services; and maintenance and other operational costs. The general fee for full-time students also covers many extracurricular expenses including: admission to all home athletic events and numerous campus social activities; most of the admission charges to designated, College-sponsored cultural programs; use of all recreational/athletic facilities; and subscriptions to the student newspaper (The Juniatian). A student paying the general fee may take a normal load of 12 to 18 hours per semester. When permission is given to register for work in excess of the normal program, either in a given semester or for the academic year, the overload fee is $520.00 for the 19th credit hour and $1,380.00 per credit for the 20th and 21st credit hours. 

The yearly general fee for resident students also covers board charges and room rental for regularly announced periods when the dining hall and residence halls are open (see the College calendar). A limited number of students, with approval from the Dean of Students, may live off campus each year, but others are expected to reside on campus unless they live with parents or guardians and commute from home in the immediate area. There are two meal plan options for resident students and one meal plan for non-resident students. Questions about meal plans should be addressed to Student Services. 


Matriculation: When a student has been accepted for admission as a degree-seeking student, a $400 matriculation fee is to be paid by May 1. This nonrefundable fee reserves a space in the entering class. 

Occasional Academic Fees

Auditing: The fee for auditing is $840 per course, and is waived for students in good standing who are regularly enrolled in a full-time College program. 

Overload: Students registering for more than 18 hours per semester are charged $500 for the 19th credit hour and $1,380 per credit hour up to 21 credit hours. Courses extending over more than one semester are prorated. If the student withdraws from a course(s) following the drop/add period, this charge must still be paid. 

Special Course Charges: Some courses have laboratory, studio, or special field experiences as significant parts of the course. A special fee of $30 is usually assessed for these courses, with the exception of Biology and Chemistry. The fee for those courses is $100. Other departments with courses which require a special course fee include: art, education, geology, music and physics. Some general education courses also require this fee. The fee for students registering for off-campus student teaching is $50. 

Private Instruction in Music: Regularly enrolled students who wish to take private music lessons for academic credit will be charged $780 for a two-credit, one hour per week lesson, or $390 for a one-credit, thirty-minute per week lesson. 

Private Instruction in Ceramics: Regularly enrolled students who wish to take ceramics lessons for academic credit may do so as part of their normal academic program. If lessons constitute an overload, the normal overload charge applies. Students who do not desire academic credit, or persons not regularly enrolled at the College, may take lessons for $1,000 per semester (one lesson per week). 

Special Services Fees

Student Activity Fee: This fee provides funding to Student Government and the Juniata Activities Board. These organizations assist with support for student clubs, activities and organizations. This fee is assessed per semester. The Student Activity fee for full-time students is $105 per semester and for part-time students is $40 per semester. 

Credentials: Fees for academic transcripts, co-curricular transcripts, and placement credentials will be covered by part of the student’s matriculation fee. Up to 25 copies of each are free and a fee of $5.00 each will be charged for subsequent documents. 

Health and Wellness Services: All full-time students will be charged a $112 per semester College Health and Wellness Services fee. This fee entitles the student to unlimited visits to the Health Center and special health and wellness programming on campus. Prescription medications dispensed will be billed to the student at cost. 

Medical Insurance Coverage: An Accident and Sickness Insurance plan is available and will be billed automatically to all full-time students. The annual premium for students is $1,616. Students may waive this charge by completing an online form and providing proof of coverage. Further information on this plan may be obtained by contacting the Business Office. 

Technology Fee: All students will be charged a technology fee at the beginning of each semester. Resident students will be charged $195 per semester; nonresident students will be charged $85 per semester. The Technology Fee for summer online courses is $7 per credit hour. The fee includes access to campus computing resources, including but limited to the Internet, shared file storage for classes, printing, copying, general lab computing, and cable television. 

Vehicle Registration: All vehicles brought to campus must be registered with the Security Office. On-campus resident students will be charged $75 per year, and off-campus resident and non-resident students will be charged $35 per year. 

Part-time Fees

Course: Non-resident students who do not participate in the College program and do not use facilities other than classrooms, libraries, or other academic facilities, when taking less than 12 semester hours, can view part-time fees here. For persons holding bachelor’s degrees, the fee is reduced by one-half. 

Summer Session: Students enrolling in summer courses will be charged $860 per credit hour unless they are participating in a program with special rates. Tuition for summer online courses is $500 per credit hour. 


Student Security Deposit: Once a student enrolls at Juniata, $250 of the previously-paid matriculation fee establishes the student security deposit. Assessments and fines for damages to or loss of College property and other obligations are deducted from the deposit. When the balance of the deposit falls below $50, students are required to restore the deposit to its full $250 amount. After graduation or other separation from the College, the unexpended balance is refunded by check and mailed to the student’s home address. 

Payment of Bills

The general fee is due and payable prior to the beginning of each semester. Fall and spring semester bills are due on August 8 and January 2, respectively. Financial settlement is required for all outstanding obligations. Students may be denied registration, room occupancy, and participation in extra-curricular activities without the necessary arrangements. Payment after the due date is subject to the late payment fee. Also, students cannot be granted honorable dismissal, end-of-term reports, transcripts of grades and credits, or diplomas until all College bills have been paid in full. 

Monthly Payment Option: Students who wish to pay College bills on a monthly basis may use Tuition Management Systems. The interest-free, monthly payment option enables families to spread all or part of the annual expenses over equal, monthly payments. A small annual fee is charged. Low-interest monthly payment options, including an unsecured loan, a home equity credit line, and federally-backed loans, are also available. Students can contact Tuition Management Systems at 1-800-356-8329 or online at www.afford.com for more information on these programs. Also, the Office of Student Financial Planning can inform students of alternative financing strategies. 

Credit Card/ACH: Students who wish to pay College bills by either credit card or direct ACH Deposits from a bank account may do so by contacting CashNet through the Arch or have the student grant you access to the online payment website. Any fees associated with these types of transactions are passed onto the student. 

Credit Balances

Juniata will pay credit balances to students in a timely manner, usually within two weeks of the determination of the credit balance. Credits are deemed to be applied to bills in the order as indicated in the Student Financial Planning section of the catalog. 

Late Fees

Late Payment: Any student who fails to pay his or her tuition, room, and board bill (or make proper arrangements with the Bursars Office) by the due date on the bill is charged a fee of 1.5% per month on past due balances. 

Late Endorsement of Co-payee Checks:

The College receives checks for tuition, room, and board made out to both the College and the student. The College may not use these funds until the check is endorsed by both the College and the student. The College will notify the student when such a check is received. Failure to endorse the check in a timely manner (generally within one week of notice date) will result in a charge of $5 for each subsequent week or part of a week. 

Through an agreement with AES and other lender/guarantee agencies and the College, direct deposit of loan proceeds into the College’s bank account is permitted. Students should authorize this method of disbursement by checking the appropriate box on their loan application or signing an authorization form available in Accounting Services. 

Registration Late Fee: Any student who fails to register or submit a (POE) Program of Emphasis plan by the published deadline, may be assessed a late fee of $50 for each incident. 

Refund Policy

As the College has expenses of a continuing nature, usually incurred on an annual basis, it assumes that students, once enrolled, will remain for the semester. However, the College recognizes that individual circumstances, including serious illness or other emergency reasons, may dictate a withdrawal. Official notice with an explanation of the reason for withdrawal must be made to the Dean of Student Services. A case-by-case review of the particular circumstances will be made to determine refund eligibility (if any). The College uses a federally mandated refund procedure based on a percentage of semester completed to calculate charges and applicable credits for students serparating from the College after the semester begins.

We are required by federal statute to determine how much financial aid was earned by students who withdraw, drop out, are dismissed, or take a leave of absence prior to completing 60% of a payment period or term. 

For a student who withdraws after the 60% point-in-time, there are no unearned funds. However, a school must still complete a Return calculation in order to determine whether the student is eligible for a post-withdrawal disbursement. 

The calculation is based on the percentage of earned aid using the following Federal Return of Title IV funds formula: 

Percentage of payment period or term completed = the number of days completed up to the withdrawal date divided by the total days in the payment period or term. (Any break of five days or more is not counted as part of the days in the term.) This percentage is also the percentage of earned aid. 

Funds are returned to the appropriate federal program based on the percentage of unearned aid using the following formula: 

Aid to be returned = (100% of the aid that could be disbursed minus the percentage of earned aid) multiplied by the total amount of aid that could have been disbursed during the payment period or term. 

If a student earned less aid than was disbursed, the institution would be required to return a portion of the funds and the student would be required to return a portion of the funds. Keep in mind that when Title IV funds are returned, the student borrower may owe a debit balance to the institution. 

If a student earned more aid than was disbursed to him/her, the institution would owe the student a post-withdrawal disbursement which must be paid within 120 days of the student's withdrawal. 

The institution must return the amount of Title IV funds for which it is responsible no later than 45 days after the date of the determination of the date of the student’s withdrawal. 

Tuition and Room Charges & Board Charges: Tuition, room charges, and board charges are pro-rated from the first day of class of each semester and is based on the percentage of the semester which has expired. Tuition, room, and board charges will be assessed up to the 60% point. There will not be a refund after the 60% mark. 

All students who separate from the College, after the start of classes, will be assessed an administrative fee of $100. 

The student security deposit will be retained for those students who have only temporarily separated. The deposit will be refunded if the student chooses not to return. 

Financial Aid: The crediting of financial aid ceases for withdrawing students in the semester in which separation occurs. Federal regulations require that refunds be made in the same order as credited. Credits are applied to bills in the following order: 

  • Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loans (other than PLUS loans)
  • Subsidized Federal Direct Loans
  • Federal Perkins Loans
  • Federal Direct PLUS Loans
  • Federal Pell Grants for which a Return of funds is required
  • Federal TEACH Grant for which a Return of funds is required
  • Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grants for which a Return of funds is required
  • Other assistance under this Title for which a Return of funds is required (e.g., LEAP)
  • State Grants
  • Juniata Grants and Scholarships
  • Other payments

Summer Session, Occasional Academic and Part-time Fees: Refunds are calculated proportionately according to the above table.