Incoming Credit

Advanced Placement Credit

Juniata encourages students to pursue additional credits through the Advanced Placement process. Incoming freshmen with scores of 4 or 5 on an Advanced Placement test may be offered Juniata credits. Selected Advanced Placement tests have been designated by the appropriate academic programs as equivalent to one or more Juniata courses. If the student accepts Advanced Placement credit for such a test, the student is then exempt from taking the equivalent course(s) and in fact may not take the course(s) for additional credit. If an Advanced Placement test is not designated equivalent to a Juniata course or courses, general credits in the appropriate division (Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities) may still be offered.

Test scores arrive at the end of July and are reviewed by the Registrar’s Office. During the first week of school, students will receive a letter in their campus mailboxes with a form that directs them to department chairpersons for discussions about whether they will accept their AP test scores for college credit and/or direct course equivalency. Such meetings should preferably happen during the drop/add period (the first 7 class days of the semester).

A student who receives a sufficient number of Advanced Placement credits will be granted sophomore status.

To have scores sent to Juniata: Go to or call 1-877-274-6477.

International Baccalaureate

International Baccalaureate Diploma recipients are granted credit for one full year (30 credits) toward a degree at Juniata. Students who have an IB Diploma normally enter the College with sophomore standing. IB certificate recipients receive course credit for each higher level examination passed with a score of 5 or higher. To receive this credit the student will meet with the appropriate department chair or designee to consider the advantage or disadvantage of accepting credit. IB credits may be counted toward degree requirements.

Transfer Policy

Juniata does not accept in transfer any coursework below a grade of “C-” nor coursework of a strictly technical or remedial nature, nor physical education coursework, nor coursework from a non-regionally accredited institution. Special circumstances may affect the transferability of an individual student record. These cases will be handled on an individual basis and decisions will be based on Juniata’s academic policy. An official credit evaluation will be completed by the Office of the Registrar after a student has been admitted to Juniata.

Transfer without a Degree Students transferring without an Associate Degree will have their work evaluated on a course-by-course basis. Courses equivalent to Juniata’s curriculum course description will be granted direct course equivalence. Coursework accepted in transfer may be used to meet both liberal arts graduation requirements and Program of Emphasis requirements.

Transfer with an A.A. or an A.S. Degree Juniata currently has a formal transfer agreement with Harrisburg Area Community College (PA), Community College of Allegheny County (Pittsburgh, PA), Cambria County Area Community College (Johnstown, PA), and Keystone College (La Plume, PA).

Students who possess an “AA” or appropriate “AS” degree from an accredited institution and wish to transfer to Juniata will be granted junior standing. Students would be awarded a minimum of 56 semester hours, a maximum of 60 semester hours, regardless of course equivalence. Courses will be granted direct course equivalence. All Juniata graduation requirements must be met. Coursework accepted in transfer may be used to meet both liberal arts and Program of Emphasis requirements; however, it may take the student more than the remaining 60-64 semester hours to complete all graduation requirements.

Transfer Credit

Transfer credit is granted only for academically-valid courses in which the student earns a grade of C- or higher. Transfer credit is granted in the form of a comparable course, distribution credit, or elective credit. Credit is only awarded for courses taken at a similarly accredited institution. Students who take courses at schools without a similar regional accreditation must provide syllabi for all courses for individual evaluation by the Registrar’s office and departmental review. If the course is too focused or outside our curriculum delivery, no credit will be granted.

Current students wishing to transfer credit back to Juniata must obtain pre-approval by completing a “Request for Clearance of Transfer Credit” form available in the Registrar’s Office. On this form, the appropriate department chair will note the comparable Juniata course(s) (consulting as needed with the most recent instructor of the comparable course), and the student’s advisors will indicate approval. For courses not deemed comparable with a Juniata offering, decisions will be made by the Registrar with advice from the appropriate department and the Student Academic Development Committee as appropriate. It is the student’s responsibility to obtain information about the course and present this information to advisors and the department chair(s).

Students who enter Juniata with fewer than 24 credit hours may apply no more than 15 transfer credits toward a Juniata degree after their initial entry. No more than eight of these 15 credits can be included in the POE. Students who enter Juniata with 24 or more credit hours may transfer credit according to the following chart.

# of credits awarded upon entry

total # transfer credits allowed after entry

# transfer credits allowed in POE after entry

0 - 23.99



24 - 53.99



54 - 86.99



87 or more



Exceptions may be made for students participating in cooperative programs, study abroad programs, and other Juniata-approved programs. Students who have earned an associate degree elsewhere are awarded credit as indicated in the Admission section of this catalog.

Students taking a leave of absence to study at another institution whether abroad or domestic, that is not a Juniata-approved program, must obtain pre-approval by completing a “Request for Clearance of Transfer Credit” form available in the Registrar’s Office. These requests are subject to the guidelines listed above.

Students who have earned an associate degree elsewhere are awarded credit as indicated in the Admission section of this catalog.  Students transferring to Juniata from an accredited institution without a degree (including those that previously attended Juniata) are awarded credit as indicated in the Admissions section of this catalog. 

Transfer Credit Residency Policy

Students are allowed to transfer credits during their last semester within the provisions of the transfer policy. However, 30 of the last 36 credits must be taken in residence. There are degree requirements that are unique to Juniata and may not be completed elsewhere. Students participating in cooperative programs, study abroad programs, and other Juniata-approved programs are considered to be in residence. Any exceptions to the residency policy must be approved by the Student Academic Development committee.

World Language Placement

In world languages, students are placed at the appropriate college level based on their years of high school language or prior experience with that language or a placement exam.


Definition of a Semester Hour of Credit

Juniata’s guidelines for defining the approximate amount of work required for one semester hour of credit is as follows:  For a course composed of classroom instruction, a semester hour of credit would normally involve 14 to 15 meeting times each semester with each lecture class meeting for 50 minutes.  For one credit of a laboratory course the student should have three to four hours of laboratory instruction each week of the semester.

For each hour of classroom instruction the student is expected to do two hours of preparation.  Therefore, a typical three semester hour credit course over a semester would include 43 to 44 hours of class meetings and 86 to 88 hours of student work out of the classroom

Registration and Drop/Add

Normally students preregister for classes online midway through the previous semester, but registration changes can be made during the first seven class days of each semester, known as the drop/add period. During this period students may adjust their schedule by adding and/or dropping classes, and latecomers can register for the semester. Students make changes to their schedules with advisors’ approval. Failure to register during the scheduled preregistration may result in a late registration fee of $50.

Full-time Status

A student is regarded as full-time if he or she registers for 12 or more hours of credit in each academic semester. A student who in the course of the semester considers dropping his or her credit load below 12 credit hours should confer with advisors and/or Student Financial Planning to discuss the consequences of this action.

Normal Course Load

The normal course load for freshmen and upper-class students is 30 semester hours of credit per academic year. Normally students who complete an average of 15 credits per semester graduate in four years. Freshmen often opt to take lighter loads during the first few semesters and heavier loads later. Any course load above 18 credits per semester is considered an overload and will have the overload fee applied to the student’s account.

Overload Policy

In special cases, an upper-class student may register for an overload. An overload charge is made for all credit hours attempted above 18 per academic semester. The upper-class student who wishes to take more than 19 hours of credit must have an outstanding academic record, including satisfactory completion of all courses attempted and must obtain by petition the consent of the Student Academic Development Committee. No student may take more than 21 credit hours per semester.

Excluding advanced placement credit, freshmen normally are not permitted to receive credit for more than 34 credit hours that academic year. A freshman may take more than 18 semester hours of credit only during the second semester and must fulfill two special requirements: (a) satisfactory completion of all first semester courses attempted, and (b) approval by advisors and/or other appropriate faculty as determined by the Registrar.

If a student registers for an overload and then withdraws from the College, a refund will be made according to the refund policy explained under Student Finances. No refunds are given for course withdrawal from an overload after the drop/add period. Some courses extend over more than one term. All courses must be completed, however, within one academic year, not including the summer. All special arrangements for programs must be made in the Registrar’s Office.

Class Standing

Class standing and satisfactory progress are measured on the basis of a student’s ability to complete their studies in four years by carrying a normal course load each semester. A student is making satisfactory progress and has achieved the class standing at the semester credit hour intervals as listed below:

Freshman 0 to 23.99 credit hours
Sophomore 24 to 53.99 credit hours
Junior 54 to 86.99 credit hours
Senior 87 credit hours and above

Auditing Courses

Persons who wish to audit classes may make arrangements with the Registrar to attend one or more courses without receiving grades or credit. The decision to audit a course must be made by the end of the drop/add period. The transcript does carry notations of audited courses. Permission of the course instructor is necessary and an auditing fee must be paid in the Business Office. This fee is waived for students enrolled in a regular full-time College program, but occasional academic course fees remain in effect (lab and field trip fees, etc.).

Repeating Courses

Students who wish to repeat a course must consult with the Registrar. Although credit may not be granted twice for a particular course, there is no limit on the number of times a student can retake a course for an improved grade. Only the highest grade received will be reflected in the student’s grade point average.

Independent Study, Credit by Examination, Tutorial, and Special Topics Courses

A student may wish to pursue studies not listed as course offerings. In such a case, independent study may be appropriate. Requests for independent study are handled by Registrar’s Office according to policies established and maintained by the Department and Program Committee.

Independent Study

Students applying for an Independent Study must make arrangements with a faculty member and register for the course (using forms available in the Registrar’s Office and on the Registrar’s website) two weeks prior to the semester in which the credit will be earned. The instructor will designate a syllabus, text, or other materials required and will submit to the Registrar an explanation of course requirements (i.e., examinations, papers, and faculty-student conferences). A student may enroll for no more than two Independent Studies in a semester. An Independent Study is considered an upper-level course; no more than two Independent Studies are permitted in a POE. Independent studies will carry no General Education designations.

Credit by Exam

Students may be given credit for some courses without participation in class meetings but by meeting all other requirements of the courses. To determine if a course is available for Credit by Examination (CBE), the student should consult the faculty member who is currently teaching the course. If the course is not currently offered a faculty member who has taught the course at least once in the last three years may conduct the course on a CBE basis. A course may be offered CBE only to full-time Juniata students. CBE is intended to be used as an option when scheduling conflicts prevent a student from scheduling a course required for graduation, which will not be available in any other semester prior to their graduation and cannot be fulfilled by any other course. The decision to offer a course CBE rests solely with the faculty member responsible for the course, since not all courses lend themselves to Credit by Examination (e.g., courses dependent on discussions and field trips and laboratory courses). The faculty member currently responsible for a course is NOT obligated to offer the course CBE in a given semester, as each faculty member must consider their own previously scheduled work load. The deadline for CBE registration is the end of the drop/add period during the semester in which the course is to be taken. Independent Study and CBE courses are considered part of the normal load of a student and, if taken as an overload, are subject to the usual overload fee.


In a tutorial, the faculty instructor and the student work closely on a regularly scheduled basis involving lectures, demonstrations, explanations, and evaluation. The purpose of the tutorial is to enable a student to pursue a study which is too complex either in nature or scope to address as an independent study. Through regular contact with the instructor, the student will benefit from the instructor’s expertise on a highly individualized basis.

During the Summer Session, a student may register for one Independent Study, Credit by Examination, or Tutorial if enrolling concurrently in one regularly offered course.

All forms can be found here:

Through regular contact with the instructor the student will benefit of his/her expertise on a highly individualized basis. Some tutorials are arranged to assist the faculty with classroom activities and for review sessions for large introductory classes. No pay is associated with students who are earning credit for the course.

Special Topics Courses

Faculty members may offer courses as a “special topic” with the approval of their departmental chair. Special topics courses are numbered as 199, 299, 399, or 499, where the course level is indicated by the first digit. Such courses provide a means for instructors to (1) teach topics which are of timely but ephemeral interest or (2) teach a course on a trial basis. They are expected to be as academically rigorous as designated courses. Special topic courses may be offered three times before a course must be formally approved. Special topics courses may be included in a student’s POE, but they may not fulfill general education requirements (see section 3.3.1, l) unless approved to do so by the General Education Committee.

Summer and Winter Sessions

Juniata conducts a Summer Session program designed for a wide variety of students. The course offerings are a subset of those offered during the regular year and are similarly rigorous.

It is the student’s responsibility to be attentive to the course syllabus and successfully complete the course materials prior to the end date. Any concerns about course completion should be communicated to the instructor as soon as possible. 

COURSE LIMIT:  Summer and Winter Term courses are taught at an accelerated pace. Students may register for no more than one course during Winter Term or two courses during each Summer Session. Students wishing to enroll in an additional course should contact the Registrar’s Office at

COURSE DROP:  Students may drop a course up to the published drop deadline and receive full reimbursement. Students must email the faculty instructor and the Registrar’s Office at to drop a course. Dropped courses do not appear on a student’s transcript.

COURSE WITHDRAWAL:  Students may withdraw from the course from the day after the drop deadline until the course withdrawal deadline that is specified in the course syllabus. NOTE: Each course’s withdrawal deadline varies, so be sure to check the syllabus. Students must email the faculty instructor and the Registrar’s Office at to withdraw from the course. The course withdrawal will be noted on the student’s transcript with a W, however the W does not impact the cumulative GPA. Lack of participation/log-on is not considered course withdrawal and will result in a final grade of F. Students will be refunded course tuition and fees on prorated basis.

AUDIT:  Summer and Winter Term online courses may not be audited.


The Summer Sessions’ budget is established by the Registrar in consultation with the Provost. The salary schedule is approved by the Provost and the President, and the Office of Personnel Services prepares all contracts for the instructional staff.

Faculty who offer tutorials, independent studies, and Credit-by-Examinations during the Summer and those who supervise field work while not on regular academic year contract will be paid a stipend for the work involved in giving such courses. Field work courses may sometimes be offered as a regular part of the Summer program. In these circumstances, the faculty member supervising the field work will be offered a regular contract if there is sufficient student enrollment in the field work course.

Undergraduate Enrollment in Graduate Courses

Undergraduate students pursuing a baccalaureate degree at Juniata College may take graduate courses at the 500-level or above, if the student meets all the following eligibility criteria:

  • The student has completed a minimum of 90 credits (i.e. holds senior standing) at the undergraduate level
  • The student has a minimum GPA of 3.0 overall, including transfer credits
  • The student must obtain approval from their adviser and the Director of the Graduate Programs


  • Up to nine graduate credits can be taken as an undergraduate student
  • Only graduate credits that are in excess of the 120 undergraduate credit requirement can be counted toward an advanced degree
  • Graduate courses may count as an elective in the student’s undergraduate program if they are not being transferred to the Graduate program. Students may not double count credits toward a graduate and an undergraduate degree.
  • Students must complete the course with a B- or better for the credits to be eligible for transfer at a later date to aJuniata College graduate degree program (non-Juniata programs may have their own criteria for accepting transfer credits). Internal transfer of credit is subject to specific graduate program transfer credit regulations. Graduate courses are not eligible for the pass/no pass option.

An undergraduate student who does not meet the above eligibility requirements may request special permission in writing from the Provost and the Graduate Studies Committee.

Course Policies

Class Attendance

Unless notice is given to the contrary by the course instructor, Juniata College expects every student to attend all classes without fail. Regular attendance of classes is necessary to reasonable progress for most students, and it is assumed that the faculty can stimulate attendance by the skill and imagination displayed in courses.

Faculty members have an obligation to make students aware, in writing, of their policy regarding absences from class, grading criteria, and examination policies. This information should be available during the first four days of the term in order that students may recognize schedule conflicts or prerequisite problems in time to take advantage of the Drop/Add period.

The faculty member is expected at all times to be familiar with the attendance behavior of their students, and should maintain such records as are necessary to achieve this end.

If a student is absent and approaches the faculty member for assistance in making up the missed work, the faculty member is expected to assist in so far as possible if the absence was for one of the following reasons: the student’s illness, the illness of an immediate member of the family, a college-approved activity, or some emergency. For other reasons assistance may be given to the student at the discretion of the faculty member. In special cases, the Dean of Students may certify the absence of a student for medical reasons on the request of a faculty member.

A college-approved activity is an educational field trip approved by the Dean, participation in an extracurricular activity approved by the Student Affairs Council, or, on occasion, a special event approved by the Provost.

Field Trips

Juniata recognizes that field trips are important experiential learning events, and encourages faculty whose courses are affected to make every effort to accommodate students whose courses include planned trips.

Faculty wishing to schedule mandatory out-of-class field trips are required to include the field trip dates in the course syllabus prior to the end of the drop/add period.

Absences during Election Campaigns

The participation of students in November elections can be a valuable educational experience. The fourth paragraph of the above policy is adequate to cover absences for this purpose. A student may be excused by the faculty member with the privilege of making up missed work but the student must give prior notice to the faculty member of their intention to be absent for a stated period of time to engage in such activities. If the faculty member wishes to do so, they may require that on return, the student present bona fide evidence validating the reason for the absence.

Cancellation of Classes

Noting the very high number of canceled classes during the week prior to vacations, the faculty has gone on record as condemning the practice of canceling classes on the day before or the day after vacations. Any exceptions should be cleared with the Provost.

Grading Policy

For each course faculty members should develop a clear policy on attendance and grading which should be stated unambiguously to the student at the beginning of the course, preferably in the course syllabus. The policy should explain the relative value of class work, field trips, papers, and final examinations. Changes during the term in the system must be announced clearly to the students, preferably in writing.

Although the instructor sets the grading policy, they should not do it arbitrarily, for the policy should represent the best measure of the student’s achievement. While setting the grading policy, the instructor should consider their expectations of students in terms of exams, papers, and other coursework. If attendance in the classroom is considered vital to the learning experience of the student, it may enter into the calculation of the grade, but if the course is conducted in such a manner that the student can progress equally well by completing their assignments whether they attend class or not, then classroom attendance is not a legitimate indicator of the student’s progress and should not enter into the computation of the grade.

Grade Definitions

Regular Grade Designations

“A”— indicates work of the highest excellence, showing a superior grasp of the content as well as independent and creative thinking in the subject.

“B” — signifies unusual achievement wherein the student reveals exceptional insight and ability.

“C” — is given for satisfactory achievement on the college level where the work of the course has been conscientious and shows no considerable deficiency in either quality or quantity.

“D” — indicates that the work of the course is of less than average or of marginal quality.

“F” — signifies work which is distinctly unsatisfactory at the college level.

The above grades may be qualified by the use of a plus (+) or minus (-). For the permanent record, a grade point average (GPA) is compiled and the GPA appears on the transcript. Only grades of A(-), B(+,-), C(+,-), D(+,-), Satisfactory, and Pass are given credit toward a degree. The following equivalents should be used for calculating the GPA:

Grade Quality Point Value
A 4.00
A- 3.67
B+ 3.33
B 3.00
B- 2.67
C+ 2.33
C 2.00
C- 1.67
D+ 1.33
D 1.00
D- 0.67
F 0.00

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U)

Performance in a few courses is graded as Satisfactory (S) or Unsatisfactory (U), but in the majority of courses, the grades listed above are given. S or U grades do not count when calculating a student's term or cumulative GPA.

Audit (AU)

Performance in audit classes is given a grade of AU. This is given regardless of the students’ participation. Audits cannot be changed after the drop/add period and it is up to the faculty to determine at what level a student should participate in their class. There is no withdrawal from audit coursework, if a student stops attending, they will still receive an auditing with no grade or credit.

Irregular Grade Designations

In addition to the regular grade designations, the following irregular grades are used as occasion may demand. The following grades are for individual courses. Irregular grades as a result of leaves of absence are covered under Section Leave of Absence.

Incomplete (I)

At the discretion of the faculty member involved, a grade of incomplete may be submitted. This option is to be used sparingly, however, and only when the student has given a satisfactory explanation (such as extended illness or accident) for failure to complete a required piece of work. Otherwise, a student receives an F for a course which is not completed. Simple preference on the part of the student for an extension of time is not regarded as sufficient cause for granting an incomplete. Upon the granting of an incomplete, the student must complete the work within three weeks of the beginning of the next semester of the academic year or an F automatically will be recorded. Any exceptions to this policy must be approved in writing by both the instructor and the Registrar.

Pass/No Pass (P/NP)

In consultation with their advisors, undergraduate students may elect to take up to 32 credits, not exceeding eight courses, on a Pass/No Pass (P/NP) basis. Only one of these courses, not exceeding 4 credits, may be in the student's Program of Emphasis (POE). In order to receive a grade of P (Pass), a student must complete the course with a final grade of D- or better. A course grade below D- will result in zero credits for the course and a record of NP (No Pass) on the transcript. P/NP grades are not calculated into the term or cumulative GPA.

Students have until noon on the last day of classes of the term/session in which they are taking a course to elect the P/NP option for that course. All deadlines are local dates/times.  


  • Individual departments and programs have the academic discretion to identify those courses that may not be taken P/NP. A list of courses that cannot be taken as P/NP will be maintained by the Registrar’s Office. No master's level courses (numbered at the 500-level or above) may be taken P/NP, even when taken by an undergraduate student.
  • Courses taken P/NP count towards fulfilling Program of Emphasis (POE) or general education requirements, provided that the student obtains a passing grade in the course.
  • Students should consult with their POE advisor to determine whether specific POE classes may be taken P/NP. Students are also urged to discuss the implications of executing the P/NP option with academic advisors as admission to professional programs and/or eligibility for scholarships may be affected.
  • Instructors assign final grades without knowing if a student has chosen P/NP.
  • Any grade above an F will be converted by the Registrar's Office to a P on the student's transcript; an F grade will be converted to NP. These conversions will occur after grades are posted to a student's grade report at the end of the semester.
  • P/NP grades are not used in calculating a student's term or cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA). Courses taken P/NP do not count toward the 12-credit minimum needed for a student to be eligible for Dean's List in any given semester.
  • A student requesting to use the P/NP option after the deadline or any other adjustments to the policy must petition the Student Academic Development Committee (SAD).
  • After a P/NP grade is elected by a student, they are permitted to revert it to the earned letter grade up to the last day of classes of their graduating term (or their final term enrolled as an undergraduate student at Juniata College). Students do not need to appeal to SAD in order to do so. Students cannot retroactively shift from a letter grade to P/NP.

Course Withdrawal (W)

A withdrawal grade of W is recorded when a student drops a course after the official drop/add period at the beginning of the semester and before the withdrawal deadline. W grades are not calculated into the GPA.

A student may withdraw from a course, with documented consultation with the student’s current advisors, up to the withdrawal date listed on the course syllabus. If the instructor has not indicated a final withdrawal date on the syllabus, the default deadline reverts to noon on the last day of classes that semester.

Withdrawals will be considered complete when they are filed with the Office of the Registrar. A student who does not complete the withdrawal process will receive the grade currently earned at the time the course instructor submits final grades.

Withdrawal from courses may impact financial aid and/or inter-collegiate athletic eligibility. Students are encouraged to discuss these implications with family, academic advisors, coaches, and counselors from Financial Planning or the Dean of Students Office.

Exceptions to this policy may be made via appeal to the Student Academic Development Committee.

If a student withdraws from the College during a semester with the Dean of Student’s approval, the Registrar will enter a grade of W for all registered but not completed courses. W grades are not calculated in the student’s cumulative GPA, but may have other ramifications. Students who withdraw during a semester may still have financial obligations to the College. Students are encouraged to discuss these matters with family, faculty advisors, and counselors from Financial Planning and the Dean of Students Office.

If students withdraw from all classes (withdrawal from the College), they must apply to the Dean of Students to be readmitted.

Grade Reports

Grade reports are available to the student through the ARCH at the conclusion of each semester. Students wanting to have a grade report sent to his/her permanent address or another third party must submit the request to the Registrar. The form is located in Founders Hall in the Registrar’s Office.  

Notification of Grades

Mid-term Notices

Midway through the semester faculty will send a mid-term notice to each individual student who is doing less than C work in a particular course. This notice is intended to make students aware of unsatisfactory performance in a course at a time when they have a chance to adjust to problems which could prevent them from achieving a passing grade.

Final Grades

Faculty members must report final grades to the Registrar within forty-eight hours of giving an exam. Prompt notification to students depends on prompt processing of submitted grades. Final Grades, once submitted, may not be changed except under unusual circumstances and then must be accompanied by rationale and approved by the Provost.

Grade reports will be posted by the Registrar’s Office at the conclusion of each semester.

Performance in all courses should be reported to the Registrar by the faculty as A, B, C, D, or F (+ and -) with the exception of those courses specifically authorized by the Department and Program Committee for the S/U grading system. Grades of F should have an accompanying explanation.

The Transcript

The transcript is a complete record of a student’s coursework (identified by course name, catalog number, and semester of registration), credit earned, grades (including W) and quality points assigned, and cumulative grade point average based on all attempted courses graded A, B, C, D, or F (+ or -). In addition, the following academic actions are reported on the transcript: Deans’ List, graduation honors, probation, suspension, dismissal, military LOA, and some program certification notices.

A copy of the official transcript may be released by the Registrar’s Office upon written request of a student.

The Registrar’s Office maintains a complete record of a student’s academic work. This record is available for inspection by the student and/or the parents of dependent students. For purposes of employment, transfer or further study, the student may request in writing that an official transcript of the record be sent to an individual or institution. Official transcripts are for the use of a third party and bear the College seal. Unofficial transcripts are for personal use by the student and bear no seal.

No transcript of a student’s permanent record will be issued without written authorization from the student. No telephone or third-party requests will be honored. Members of the faculty or administration may have access to the records if they have a legitimate interest in and demonstrate a need for the information.

Grade Appeal

The assignment of grades for academic work is an important matter which falls within the professional responsibility of each individual faculty member. Grades are determined in such a way as to reflect as accurately as possible student performance according to criteria available to the student and to protect the academic freedom both of the faculty member and the student. There is an inherently subjective element to grading, but it does not follow from this that grading is done in an arbitrary fashion.

A student may dispute a grade given in or for a course. When this occurs, the student should follow the appeal procedure outlined below. The faculty member issuing the grade has final authority and responsibility for determining that grade.

1. Within two weeks of the time the questioned grade is received, the student should talk to the faculty member who assigned the grade and attempt to resolve the issue.

2. If the course is team taught and no resolution is achieved, the student may request, where course policy permits, a second faculty opinion from another section leader in the course selected by the director of the course. If this is permissible and the opinion of the second leader differs from the opinion of the first in the disputed grade, the course syllabus or past practice in the course should specify how these different opinions are resolved. Where there are recognized past practices, these should be included in the course syllabus.

3. If no resolution of the grade dispute is achieved after steps 1 or 2, the student should discuss the matter with the department chairperson or course director. In this case, the function of the chairperson or director is to attempt to determine the relevant facts and mediate the disagreement.

4. If no resolution is achieved at step 3, the matter may be referred by the student or the faculty member to the Provost, whose function it is to mediate the disagreement. The Provost will confer privately with the faculty member and the student and may call additional witnesses. Following this process, the faculty member communicates to the student the final decision. This step is the final step in the appeal process.

5. It is expected that a final decision will be made within four weeks of the time the questioned grade is received. All parties are requested to adhere to the deadlines.

Final Examinations

Testing is basically an educational service to the student. When examinations are given, the primary purpose should be to provide an opportunity for the student to respond creatively and systematically to the instruction which they have had. Secondarily, the results may be used as a basis of grading. The teacher has a professional obligation to review tests seriously, pointing out for the benefit of the student both the strengths and inadequacies of the student’s work. The tests should be returned promptly with grade and comment.

Written examinations are usually given in each course during the examination period at the end of the semester. Final examinations must be taken during the designated final examination period at the end of each semester. (This means faculty are not permitted to schedule final examinations during the last week of classes or during Reading Day.) The schedule is prepared by the Registrar, and students are expected to take examinations at the announced times. Exceptions to this rule may be granted by the Registrar in consultation with the Curriculum Committee if the Registrar deems it necessary.

Standing practice has set an unofficial guideline that final examinations, if given, are to be calculated at between one-third and one-half of the final grade. Final examinations may be repeated. In addition to final exams, faculty members are strongly urged to give frequent quizzes and tests throughout the semester, with or without advance notice.

College Academic Integrity Policy

All members of the Juniata community share responsibility for establishing and maintaining appropriate standards of academic honesty and integrity. Students oblige themselves to follow these standards and to encourage others to do so. Faculty members also have an obligation to comply with the principles and procedures of academic honesty and integrity. Academically dishonest acts include cheating, fabrication and falsification, multiple submission, plagiarism, unacceptable use of College computing systems or of electronic technology, abuse of materials, and complicity in academic dishonesty.

All offenses are reported to the Assistant Provost and all confirmed violations of the policy are kept on file until the student is separated from the College. If a student is accused a second time, the case can be automatically referred to the Judicial Board. Penalties may include, but are not limited to, the following: a formal warning; a reduced grade for the assignment; a reduced grade for the course; suspension from the College; dismissal from the College.

A more complete description of the College’s policy on academic integrity and the procedures followed during a hearing of the Judicial Board can be found in the Pathfinder on the Juniata College intranet.

Judicial Board Membership

The Judicial Board conducts hearings in which students have been charged with violating Juniata College policy. The Board is comprised of three faculty members, two students (appointed by the Student Government), one administrator from Student Affairs, and one administrator from Academic Affairs. The Judicial Board is chaired by a representative from the Provost’s Office, typically either the Assistant Provost or the Dean of Students (or other appropriate appointee). A recording secretary appointed by the Judicial Board Chairperson is also present.

Each Judicial Board is selected from a pool of eight faculty members, five students designated by the Student Government and all members of the Academic Affairs and Student Affairs staff.

Procedures for Judicial Board Hearings

Major misconduct and/or repeat minor misconduct which violates the Student Code of Conduct or the Academic Integrity Policy, may result in referral to the Judicial Board.

  • If a student has been referred to the Judicial Board for a hearing, the accused student shall be informed in writing of the charges at least 48 hours in advance of any hearing. The notice shall include a copy of the hearing procedures. Students appearing before the Judicial Board may have an advisor from the college community and/or parents/guardian(s) attend the hearing.
  • The hearing is private (closed).
  • The student may call a reasonable number of witnesses on their own behalf. Witnesses are subject to questioning by members of the Judicial Board.
  • The student must inform the chairperson 24 hours in advance of the hearing if the student intends to have witnesses appear. The notification must include the names of any proposed witnesses and their relevance to the situation.
  • If the student does not appear, the hearing will be held in absentia and the student may be additionally charged with failure to comply.
  • When a student appears before the Judicial Board, the Chair reminds the student that he or she is expected to tell the truth. If it is later discovered that a student has been dishonest and/or misrepresented themselves to the Board, that student is eligible for suspension from the college.
  • On behalf of the college, the Chairperson of the Judicial Board presents the charge(s) against the student.
  • The student shall have an opportunity to make an opening statement.
  • In the specific case of a charge of academic integrity, the faculty member presents the evidence of the violation to the Board. The student is responsible for presenting any evidence in defense of themselves. The burden of proof is on the faculty member. The student and the faculty member may question any witness and inspect any document offered as evidence and make whatever statement or argument appears to be appropriate.
  • After the student’s opening statement (and presentation of evidence from the faculty member for academic integrity charges), the Board may address questions to any party or witness summoned, but shall limit the scope of the testimony to matters relevant to the charges. (The Board may request the presence of any witness deemed necessary for the hearing.).
  • The student and/or advisor may not directly question any witnesses. However, the student and/or advisor may suggest questions to the Judicial Board to ask of witnesses.
  • At the end of the question-and-answer period, the student and/or advisor(s) and parent(s)/guardian(s) have the opportunity to make closing statements.
  • Following the conclusion of the hearing, the Board shall deliberate in private.
  • The Board shall, by majority vote, make a determination as to whether there has been a violation of Juniata policy and recommend sanctions. The Board provides its recommendation to the hearing chairperson. The hearing chairperson will inform the student of the recommendation(s). The chairperson of the hearing prepares a final report documenting the hearing and the final decision.
  • The Dean of Students will officially notify the student charged of the final decision and any sanction imposed.


  • A student has 48 hours from the hearing conclusion to submit an appeal in writing to the hearing chairperson. Failure to submit the appeal within the time allotted renders the decision final.
  • The Chairperson refers the appeal to the Provost. A decision on the appeal will be made within 48 hours and is based on the letter of appeal and the case file. The Provost may remand the case to the Judicial Board only if the Provost specifies procedural errors that denied the student a fair hearing, or if additional significant evidence becomes available.
  • The Provost shall send a copy of the written decision on the appeal to the student, the faculty member, and the hearing chairperson.
  • The decision of the Provost shall be final.

Rights of Students Charged

  • Certain procedural rights are normally afforded a student charged with a disciplinary violation of college policy.
  • The right to have one’s case processed without undue delay.
  • Written notice (including email) of the charges and the regulation upon which the charges are based no less than 48 hours before the scheduled hearing.
  • Written notice of the time, place and date of the hearing. (Students are responsible for checking their electronic Inbox and mailboxes daily.)
  • The right, but not the obligation, to be present at an Administrative Hearing.
  • The right to testify on one’s own behalf or to remain silent.
  • The right to be presumed innocent.
  • The right to be assisted in one’s defense by any member of the college community of one’s own choosing.
  • The right of appeal.
  • Following an alleged act of student misconduct, and until final disposition of the charges, the status of a student shall not be altered or their right to be present on campus and to attend classes suspended, except for reasons relating to their own physical or emotional safety and the well-being of other students, faculty or college property, or for reasons relating to the protection of the normal functions of the college.

Case Records

Records of judicial proceedings shall be kept confidential in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Case Records shall remain part of the student’s files, but will not be noted on the official college transcript. Case Records will be expunged upon the student’s graduation.

Standards of Progress

The maintenance of good academic standing requires students to meet several standards:

Any student whose semester or cumulative grade point average at any time falls below 1.00 may be academically dismissed. Any student whose semester grade point average falls below 1.66 at any time will be placed automatically on Academic Probation. In addition, any student whose cumulative average falls below those in the following table will be placed on Academic Probation:

0 to 35.99 1.66
36 to 61.99 1.80
62 to 89.99 1.95
90 or more 2.00

In addition to meeting the grade point average requirements, students must show appropriate progress toward degree completion. Full-time students must successfully complete 24 academic credits prior to the beginning of their third semester; 48 academic credits prior to the beginning of their fifth semester; and 72 academic credits prior to the beginning of their seventh semester. Any student failing to meet these standards is placed on Academic Probation and is required to complete 12 credits in the subsequent semester. Failure to complete 12 credits in the subsequent semester results in suspension or dismissal. A second failure to meet these standards of progress will result in suspension or dismissal. Students who have not satisfactorily completed the First-Year Composition course by the end of the sophomore year may be dismissed.

Students have the right to appeal suspension and dismissal. Students on Academic Probation must achieve good standing in the next semester or face suspension or dismissal. In addition, any student who accumulates three semesters of probation will be suspended or dismissed.

Students on Academic Probation will be evaluated to determine adherence to academic success plans. Students failing to meet these expectations may be suspended or dismissed at mid-semester. Also, students will be counseled regarding possible limitation or curtailment of participation in co-curricular and/or employment activities.

Academic Standards of Progress are established by the faculty and monitored by the Student Academic Development Committee in conjunction with the Registrar. The implementation of probationary requirements and the determination of the fulfillment of graduation requirements are duties of the Registrar. Notification of any actions comes from that office. Development and interpretation of policies are the function of the Student Academic Development Committee.

Leaves of Absence

Students who want to pursue a program of study at another institution, engage in other off-campus educational experiences, and/or address personal issues without severing their connection with Juniata may request a leave of absence. A leave of absence is granted only with written approval from the Dean of Students Office in consultation with the Registrar. A student requesting a leave of absence must be in good academic standing. Absent extraordinary circumstances, a leave of absence will not exceed one-year.

Any student who plans to take a leave of absence should consult the Registrar, Student Financial Planning, and The Dean of Students Office.

Voluntary Medical Leave of Absence:

When a student’s health impedes normal academic progress and/or a situation requires a student to leave the College for one or more weeks, the student may seek a voluntary medical leave of absence. A medical leave of absence is granted through the Dean of Students Office in consultation with the Registrar. The student will be required to submit supporting documentation from his or her medical/health care provider to substantiate the need for the leave. A student on a medical leave of absence will be required to submit documentation from his or her medical/health care provider attesting to the student’s ability to return from the leave of absence (and outlining any reasonable accommodations, if applicable) prior to expiration of the leave of absence.

Upon receiving notification of an approved medical leave of absence, the Registrar will enter a “W” grade for all registered but not completed courses in the current semester. “W” grades are not calculated into the student’s cumulative GPA, but may impact progress towards the degree standards. A student who is granted a medical leave of absence may still have financial obligations to the college. The student should consult with Accounting Services and Student Financial Planning to clarify any outstanding financial obligations.

Involuntary Medical Leave of Absence:

A student may be required to take an involuntary medical leave of absence in situations where the student is a threat to his own health and safety or the health and safety of others, or where the student’s illness or behavior interferes with the academic pursuits of the student or others or interferes with the regular activities of the College community. The student will be notified by the Dean of Students of the reasons for the involuntary leave and any conditions for the student’s return. The student will be required to submit documentation from the student’s medical/health care provider attesting to the student’s ability to return from such a leave (and outlining any reasonable accommodations, if applicable). Supporting documentation, along with the student’s written request to return to the College, must be received by the Dean of Students at least 30 days prior to the first day of the semester in which the student wishes to return. This is designed to provide the College with sufficient time to evaluate the documentation and the student’s request to return as well as to ensure that the student no longer presents any potential threat.

A student on an Involuntary Medical Leave of Absence will receive a “W” grade for all registered but not completed courses in the current semester. “W” grades are not calculated into the student’s cumulative GPA and will not be reviewed for academic progress. Financial obligations to the College will be pro-rated based upon the date of involuntary medical leave.

Military Leave of Absence:

A student who receives orders to report for active military duty should contact the Dean of Students Office. The student should be prepared to present a copy of military orders (if timing does not permit an initial presentation of military orders, the student may begin the leave process by submitting, in writing, a personally signed request indicating times and dates of intended call-up). However, when available, a copy of the military orders must be provided in order for the leave process to be completed and any financial reimbursements made.

The Dean of Student Office will notify the Registrar’s Office, Accounting Services, Student Financial Planning Office and if appropriate the Office of Residential Life to expedite the military leave of absence process. The Registrar will enter a grade of “W” for all registered but not completed courses in the current semester. If the leave occurs late in the semester, the student may arrange for a final graded evaluation of his/her course work or take Incompletes for all remaining coursework. The Registrar will add the notation of “Military Leave of Absence” to the student’s transcript.

The Student Financial Planning Office will provide information on the status of the student’s financial aid, including information on deferring any loan payments.

The College will refund complete tuition payments to a student who processes a military leave of absence for the current semester. Room and board charges will be prorated based upon the date of the military leave of absence (No refunds can be made until the College has received a copy of the military orders calling the student to active duty).

Upon completion of active military duty, the student will be automatically readmitted to the College by notifying the Registrar’s Office in writing of his/her intent to resume academic study at Juniata . All rights, privileges, academic status and rank are resumed at the same level as prior to the Military Leave of Absence.

Medical Withdrawal:

A student may make a request for a medical withdrawal from a course, or withdrawal for other extraordinary circumstances, through the Dean of Students Office or the Student Academic Development Committee. A request for a medical withdrawal must be accompanied by supporting documentation from the student’s medical/health care provider.

Upon receiving notification of an approved medical withdrawal, the Registrar will enter a grade of “W” which will not be calculated in the student’s cumulative GPA. Medical withdrawals may impact College progress- towards-the-degree standards. Students are encouraged to discuss these implications with family, faculty advisors and counselors from Financial Planning or the Dean of Students Office.

Withdrawal from College:

If a student is considering withdrawing from the College, an appointment should be arranged through the Dean of Students Office. A decision to withdraw from the College may have broad implications including as to the student’s financial aid. A student should meet with the Dean of Students Office to discuss withdrawal procedures and to complete the appropriate clearance forms.

If a student withdraws from the College during a semester, the Registrar will enter a grade of “W” for all registered but not completed courses. “W” grades are not calculated in the student’s cumulative GPA, but may have other ramifications. Students who withdraw during a semester may still have financial obligations to the College. Students are encouraged to discuss these matters with family, faculty advisors and counselors from Financial Planning and the Dean of Students Office.

Fresh Start Policy (motion passed by Juniata College Faculty, May 12, 2022):

A student who returns to Juniata College after a separation of at least two years may apply for the Fresh Start policy to be applied after successful completion of 12 credits in the first full semester after their return to Juniata. This policy treats the student as if they were transferring to Juniata, resetting their GPA starting from the point of readmission while maintaining credits earned and Juniata requirements met prior to the separation.

The following provisions apply to the Fresh Start Policy:

  • A student who leaves the College with a cumulative GPA of at least a 2.0 is not eligible to apply.
  • A student with outstanding Incomplete grades in the semester after readmission is not eligible to apply.
  • At least 12 of the attempted credits in the first semester after readmission must be graded credits.
  • If more than 12 credit hours are attempted in the first semester after readmission, eligibility will be determined by the average earned on all credit hours.
  • An eligible student will receive degree credit for only those Juniata courses for which grades of “D-“ or better were earned prior to re-entry. Any transfer courses will be treated according to transfer policies.
  • Any grades earned prior to readmission will not count in determining the new cumulative GPA.
  • All grades will remain a part of the transcript.
  • After readmission, a student must earn 30 of their final 36 credits at Juniata College.
  • A student may earn academic honors based on their GPA after readmission.
  • If requirements in General Education or the student’s POE have changed, the General Education Committee or the relevant department chair will determine any adaptations.
  • The option for a Fresh Start will be extended only once during a student’s undergraduate enrollment at Juniata College.

Exceptions to Academic Policies

Most exceptions to academic policies are processed by the Student Academic Development Committee or their designee.

Exceptions to academic policies that involve Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 are processed by the Title IX Coordinator or Deputy. Exceptions to academic policies that involve the Americans with Disabilities Act are processed by the Director of Student Accessibility Services or their supervisor, as chosen by the student. Final approval for either exception is provided by the Provost or the Provost’s designee.