Juniata’s Intensive English Program’s mission is to foster and support a diverse international body of students who are enabled to participate fully and successfully in an open and stimulating community of learners at Juniata College.
Juniata’s Intensive English Program strives to achieve its mission by achieving the following goals:
- To develop the English language skills and knowledge, study skills and cultural awareness of international students to ensure academic success in the American university environment
- To provide opportunities for student learning outside of the classroom and exposure to diverse varieties of English and world views
- To encourage each student’s capacity for independent learning, self-evaluation and reflection
- To develop critical thinking skills
- To encourage development of intercultural competence in a place where intercultural issues may be openly discussed and problems resolved
- To create a bridge between the local Huntingdon community and Juniata’s international students through our classroom activities and learning outreach efforts
- To act as a catalyst and resource for intercultural learning among the Juniata community of students, administrators, and faculty
- To provide experiential learning opportunities for Juniata students interested in the field of Teaching English as a Second Language through internships, teaching practicums, student work experiences and independent study.
What do we offer?
- English language classes and intercultural learning for Juniata students, whether they are here to earn a degree, as an exchange/sponsored student, or to study only in ESL courses
- High-Intermediate and Advanced English as a Second Language courses-We do not have intermediate or beginning levels
- Up to 15 ESL credits can be used toward graduation
- Small class sizes, so instructors get to know you
- Life in an American dormitory with an English-speaking roommate
- Visa assistance
- A typical college-town experience in the friendly, safe town of Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
- You'll also get lots of practice in English in the residence halls, campus clubs, and other out-of-class activities.
- Finally, all IEP students at Juniata College are entitled to the full use of services and facilities as any other student on campus.
The Juniata Intensive English Program has been reviewed and accepted as a member of English USA, formerly the American Association of Intensive English Programs (AAIEP).